cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file a freelancer complaint?

Highlighted
Michelle G Member Since: Aug 8, 2018
1 of 14

Hello, I am relatively new to UpWork and have already had a freelancer request double the contracted amount or refuse to proceed with the contract.  He would not negotiate in any way except to receive double the payment for the remaining two milestones. How do I file a complaint to UpWork about this freelancer? Thank you! 

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2 of 14

Hi Michelle

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. One of our team members will reach out to you directly and review your complaint and advise you about the options you have!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 14

re: "...have already had a freelancer request double the contracted amount or refuse to proceed with the contract.  He would not negotiate in any way except to receive double the payment for the remaining two milestones. How do I file a complaint to UpWork about this freelancer?"

Michelle:

I am glad Bojan has offered Upwork's assistance in this matter.

But I'm not sure you need it.

From what you described, this freelancer is behaving in an unprofessional manner. It sounds like you already know you should stop working with him.

If he completed milestone 1 and delivered the work to you, and now wants to re-negotiate terms mid-stream - asking for double the payment... Why don't you simply tell him no and close the contract?

If you have not funded the remaining two milestones, then there should be no money on the line, and you can close the contract on your own. You don't need anybody's permission to do that.

If you have already funded the second milestone, and then the freelancer started behaving this way, then you could tell him "no, thank you," and you can use the client-side interface to request a full refund.

Only if he refuses to refund the money would you need to file a dispute.

Highlighted
Ken B Member Since: Apr 14, 2020
4 of 14

A freelancer built a website for me. I discovered she used stolen software and placed malicious code on my site. She now refuses to respond to me.

What is Upwork's policy on it's freelancer's criminal activity against clients?

Highlighted
5 of 14

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with getting in touch with the freelancer and advise on further steps.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Alex K Member Since: Jul 29, 2020
6 of 14

Hello,

How do I file a complaint about a freelancer that I dealt with on Upwork, but to continue for the next phase he asked me to go offline? I have a blackmail situation now on my hand where he has deleted the files from our system. 

Highlighted
7 of 14

I'm sorry to hear that, Alex. 

I can see that this was already escalated to the correct team and one four agents just followed up with you to schedule a call in order to assist you further. Kindly, follow up with our agent and they'll be more than happy to address this report further and advise you on further steps regarding your project. You should also be able to access the ticket directly here.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
sonic s Member Since: Mar 17, 2020
8 of 14

Recently I hired a freelancer named.  After I hired this guy he said "His account was suspended by Upwork due to some violations. He is asking to pay using Paypal or else he won't start work. Ib already shared all the resources and my back end scripts. I don't know what to do. Can any please help me with this 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 14

re: "Recently I hired a freelancer named. After I hired this guy he said 'His account was suspended by Upwork due to some violations. He is asking to pay using Paypal or else he won't start work. I already shared all the resources and my back end scripts. I don't know what to do. Can any please help me with this?"

It is a serious violation of Upwork ToS for a client to pay a freelancer directly using PayPal, or using any other method.

If a client is caught doing this, his Upwork account will be suspended. If a freelancer is caught accepting such payments, his account will be suspended.

But setting aside the rules entirely, you should know that this freelancer does not intend to actually do any work for you. He is trying to trick you into paying him money through PayPal, and then he plans to disappear. Of he may string you along if necessary by sending you source code or other files he downloaded from the Internet and didn't actually create, and which do not actually meet your needs.

So even if it were not against Upwork's rules, it would be a bad idea to pay this person any money.

My advice to you is to block communications with him entirely, in whatever tools you have been using to talk to him.

Highlighted
sonic s Member Since: Mar 17, 2020
10 of 14

Yes, I'm not ready to pay him other than Upwork. This guy is forcing me because i shared my scripts with him. I want to raise a serious action against him.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS