🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to find people of X nationality in Y coun...
Page options
a0cb0eb6
Community Member

How to find people of X nationality in Y country?

Hello Upwork!

this is not a mathematics equation (:

for a website I’m building, we’re looking for people of certain nationalities (for example, south Africans, Australians, Hong Kong, Germany… you get the picture) that are based in another country – Canada to be specific.

We look for writers if that matters.

In any case, my question is à How can find these people? Do you have any tips for me? Is there a way to tweak upwork search filters to find such people?

Your help is appreciated!

Amit

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Amit:

Upwork doesn't collect information about any user's nationality (or "national origin").

So there is no way for Upwork to provide a search filter or search tool based on that critera.

yeah I understand that. I've tried everything with filter but the only information upwork provides is the current country of the freelancer. So upwork filter might not get me solution.

Yet im looking for creative solutions. For example, using the free text in the search field helped me find freelancers writing about specific topics. But I couldn't just type "south africa" for example hahaha. It didn't work. So looking for someone who did if before, or some other creative solution (: 

petra_r
Community Member

Why don't you use the language filter to narrow it down?

If you want to find Turks in Canada, set Canada as the location and ask for Turkish language.

That will being up Turkish speakers, mostly native speakers.

Then look for "native" level Turkish skills, those people are likely Turks by birth.

Native level Africaans speakers in XYZ country and so on.

It gets a little more difficult with French for example, but it will help.

You can also post jobs specifying that you only want proposals from XYZ (nationalities) located in ABC (country.)

a0cb0eb6
Community Member

Your point on the languages is great (: However it won't work with English speaking countries. I will use it in the future if needed, thanks for that!

yeah I guess that only option is to post a job and request specific nationalities... Already done so but not getting too much outreach

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Amit,

At the moment we only have a country filter that you can use to filter freelancers based on their location. Any additional details about your requirements you can list them in the overview of your job post. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

What about the blank input field for text? If I put "South Africa" inside, what will the filter do? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths