🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to get a refund
Page options
86724b43
Community Member

How to get a refund

If someone fails to get your project done, how can you get a refund from oDesk? Thank you, Sefket
56 REPLIES 56
d0b4dacc
Community Member

Hello,

How can refund an amount of USD to my billing method (credti card)? 

Thanks

Abdelkader 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abdelkader,

One of our team members will follow up directly with you for this. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thanks for your feedabck. However, it would be great is UPWORK enable this feature to be done automatically by users witout liasing with support. Just an idea for more flexibility. 

Regards,

Abdel

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abdel,

Thank you for your feedback, i will share this with the team. 

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

Nobody contaced me so far! Please your kind support.

thanks

Abdel

Hi Abdel,

I see our team followed up on your request, approved it and sent you a notification yesterday. Please check your email or My Requests on your Help Center page for the message our agent sent you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir, 

Do not know, how did I missed! Thanks a lot for notifing me anyways. Cheers!

Regards,

Abdel

186a9a2d
Community Member

1. **edited for Community Guidelines** corrupted my entire database.

She *mixed and matched* my database.

Cities do not match names, states do not match emails and so on (the database is completely ruined and I cannot use any of the contacts because it is completely corrupted)

2. She asked for 2 time extensions and wasted my time and also my sales team who was waiting for her to complete her job

3. When confronted with the problem, she acknowledged the fact it is corrupted and said, "I'll do better on the next job we do with you." Then said "it's not possible, you can dispute" to fix the problem she created.

I now have a list of 2,000 business that are mixed and matched, I cannot use them.

I am out of pocket for the entire job.

Please help me Upwork. I need to get refunded ASAP so I can start building another list from zero.

re : "Please help me Upwork. I need to get refunded ASAP so I can start building another list from zero."

I am very sorry to hear about your negative experience with this freelancer. Clearly she was in way over her head. There are correct ways to do this sort of work. It is a type of work I do regularly. (In fact, I was doing the same type of thing building a contract database from a contact list this week. But I am not available for hire because I do not solicit work in the Forum.)

But the important thing for you and your company is the project and the database and getting this work done correctly.

So it is not really accurate to say that you need to get refunded ASAP so you can restart this work. Any possible refund is a completely ancillary issue and is unrelated to when you are able to move forward with your important project.

If this was an hourly contract, you can only dispute hours done during the past work week. And it may not even be worth your time to do that. If this was a fixed-price contract, you can not dispute money you have already released to her, but you can dispute her request for payment if you have not yet released payment.

Either way, the very idea of a dispute may be a costly distraction and a mistake on your part.

Let me asks few questions for clarification so we can figure out what your options are:

A) Did the freelancer create a final database that was messed up, but the original source is still in tact so somebody else can start over? Or did the freelancer corrupt what (in your belief) is the sole, solitary source of this information in some irretrievable manner?

B) How much money total did you pay to this freelancer?

C) Was this an hourly contract, or was it fixed-price?

D) Over what period of time did the freelancer do this work?

93ee3232
Community Member

Hi Diz is Ruchi from India. I paid the amount to freelancer,he was not able to get encash then he returned money from Upwork now how can I get my money from Upwork account to my credit card???? Please reply soon as it can be possible waiting thank you

Hello Ruchi,

I just checked your account I saw that you don't have any transactions made through your account yet. Do you have other Upwork accounts? 

Untitled
2a10d524
Community Member

I made an offer to a freelancer and funded the escrow. I need my refund back for the budget that I funded. How do I get this back? I withdrew the offer

Hi Dorcas,

Seeing you already withdrew the offer there's no need to take any further steps and the funds will show up in your account in a few days.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi, I have the same problem of refund. My freelancer has ended the contract with mutual agreement and she don't requests for payment and she told me that I can refund my payment from escrow as it was not released to her. Kindly help me out to put it back in my Upwork account as I will use it in my future projects which are in the process now.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for the message. I see that the refund is already processed to your original billing method and the same will be reflected on your card within 5 business days.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
b70e7336
Community Member

I hired a freelancer who claimed to be living in South Africa on their profile as it was part of my prerequisites. I was not happy with his first submission of work which was for a business plan and a pitch deck, I communicated this and he suggested we meet up to clarify. On our zoom conversation, it became clear that he lied about his location, be wa actually based in Zimbabwe and that explained why he struggled to put things in the context I needed because my target was South Africa.

He submitted his second work together with the pitch deck, unfortunately I did not have the time to review the second submission within 30 days as you can imagine a business plan takes time, but informed him that I'll revert back. When I finally did, the work was really substandard again, and now he had billed a total of $1200. Upwork says I can still dispute if transaction is within 180 days but it's on the discretion of the freelancer. This is really biased and does not give me any remedy.

I need assistance please especially that the freelancer misrepresented himself and I already had raised poor work right at the beginning of the contract. 

Refund thinking hurts clients.

This is a great example of that. You clearly had "refund" on your mind as a possibility.

This led you to not care that the freelancer was dishonest about his location. This led you to not care that the originally submitted work was of low quality. This led you to not bother to do anything for over a month, resulting in funds being released automatically.

Refund thinking hurt you.

I am sorry how things have turned out. I don't know if Upwork will be willing to help you at all after all this time.

My recommendation:

a) Put this behind you. Learn from your mistakes.

b) Aggressively purge your mind of refund thinking. Proactively decide now that you will never ask freelancers for money. Never again ask for a refund, no matter what. This will help you save time and money. Instead of sending a lot of money to an underperforming freelancer, and then trying to get some money back, you will instead monitor each freelancer's work, and fire them if you don't love their work.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths