cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get freelancer paid while his account blocked for some reasons

Aleksei D Member Since: Aug 3, 2017
1 of 7

We've been working with a freelancer during a week and after he finished the task we gave the freelancer a good review and we wanted to pay him the money he earned. But for some reason we got the money back and now this freelancer contacted us and told us that his account was blocked and money was returned to us automatically. He asks us to help him with this situation. We would like to pay him for this job
because he did his part of the job but we don't want to pay outside of the platform. Can we figure out what was happened and how to resolve this issue? Maybe Upwork blocked his contract because of some error...

Thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

If Upwork permanently suspended the freelancer it will have been for something pretty serious. Money is not returned to the clients "automatically" and only in the most serious cases where a violation was so grave the funds can not be passed on (sometimes also for legal reasons, such as a freelancer being in a sanctioned country and having hidden their real location, just as a random example)

If you have triple checked the work and it is really to your satisfaction, contact Upwork and ask to be allowed to pay this banned freelancer outside the platform. In situations like this that is often agreed to.

3 of 7

But how I can know if his account blocked for something very serious or not? 

Community Guru
4 of 7

@Aleksei D wrote:

But how I can know if his account blocked for something very serious or not? 

Trust me, if they not only blocked him, but also returned the money to you it **IS** very serious.

If it's something not so serious they warn. If it is serious they temporarily suspend the first time. If it's very serious they suspend permanently and let the freelancer keep the money.

When they permanently suspend and return the money to the client (including their own fee) it's seriously serious....

Be super careful when you check and verify the deliverables, especially if it was an app....

BEST ANSWER
5 of 7

Ok. Got it. This freelancer asked to pay him via his friends account and that's my concern because it looks suspicious for me. But I totaly understand his position when he earned money, did the job and didn't get the money for this job. So I just confused and don't know what to do. If there was a way to pay him trough the Upwork despide the fact that he is blocked? Then the issue would be resolved easily. 

Community Guru
6 of 7

@Aleksei D wrote:

Ok. Got it. This freelancer asked to pay him via his friends account and that's my concern because it looks suspicious for me.

That's more than suspicious. DO NOT DO THAT.

Plus, reading Valeria's reply shows that the freelancer outright lied to you. HE refunded, not Upwork, so whatever shady stuff is going on, he knows he can't get out of it so he lied to you to manipulate you.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Aleksei,

I see a refund on your account that was issued by the freelancer and not by Upwork. That freelancer has received notifications from Upwork team that he needs to reply to and resolve the issue with his account. Once he resolves the issue with his account, he'll be able to withdraw his earnings from the account successfully. Please, refrain from paying the freelancer outside of Upwork as it's against the ToS.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS