🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to get refund for unsatisfactory work?
Page options
ed7aeeb8
Community Member

How to get refund for unsatisfactory work?

Please help, how can I get refund that I paid stupendously to freelancer.  In the beginning she agreed to create what I asked for later in few weeks, but sent some file with few lines of code which was of no use to me with in few days and demanded payment, I made a mistake of paying her. 

she promised to deliver work as per my needs with 100% satisfaction. Now she's saying that it can't be achieved in the budget we agreed on and asked to raise budget, to which I agreed. She now again comes up with another excuse so I thought of canceling contract and demanded refund but she refused. Please help. 

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mohammed, 

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. Our team will reach out to you via ticket and email as soon as possible and will assist you further directly there. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mohammed Z:

I am on your side. I want to help you.

You have expressed some disappointment about what happened with your recent hiring experience on Upwork. I believe that you are sincere.

I think that it will help you - now and in the future - if you know more facts about how the Upwork system works. Some of what I am about to tell you might be things that you don't like to hear, but knowledge is power. So having more knowledge can only be of benefit to you. Keep in mind I'm not telling you about how Upwork SHOULD work. I'm telling you about how the system actually works at the present time:

1. It is not Upwork's intention that a client receive a refund for unsatisfatory work.

2. There are two main contract models: Hourly and fixed-price.

3. When a client hires a freelancer using an hourly contract, the client pays the freelancer for the time that she works. If she works 2 hours, he pays her for two hours. There is no "satisfactory" or "unsatisfatory" aspect to this. If the client doesn't love the freelancer's work, he can end the contract at any time.

4. When a client hires a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, the client pays the freelancer for a specific task. Payment is expected when the freelancer completes the task that was agreed upon. It is not Upwork's intention that the client can avoid paying the freelancer by claiming to be unsatisfied, or due to being sincerely unsatisfied. In fact, the money is in escrow, and the client has no button to use to unilaterally get the money back. The client can only request that the freelancer refund the money, and the freelancer can say no.

5. When a client has hired a freelancer using a fixed-price contract, the freelancer submits the work. The client has 14 days to review the work. When the client is satisfied that the work has been completed as described in the original task agreement, the client releases the escrow payment to the freelancer. This is definitely intended as a final approval step. Once a client releases payment to the freelancer, it is not Upwork's intention that the client get the money back from the freelancer at some future date.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Please help, how can I get refund that I paid stupendously to freelancer. In the beginning she agreed to create what I asked for later in few weeks, but sent some file with few lines of code which was of no use to me with in few days and demanded payment, I made a mistake of paying her. She promised to deliver work as per my needs with 100% satisfaction. Now she's saying that it can't be achieved in the budget we agreed on and asked to raise budget, to which I agreed. She now again comes up with another excuse so I thought of canceling contract and demanded refund but she refused. Please help."

You have already released payment to this freelancer. There may or may not be things we can do to help you at this point.

To provide us with context, how much money in total did you release to the freelancer?

I have released $600.
petra_r
Community Member

Mohammed Z wrote:
I have released $600.

So a fixed rate contract?

When did you release the last milestone and is there money in escrow?

If there is money in escrow or you released the last milestone less than 30 days ago, you can dispute.

If there is no money in escrow and you released the last milestone more than 30 days ago, it is too late to dispute.

ed7aeeb8
Community Member

I released it yesterday on 21-dec, there isn’t any money in my escrow as I
have already paid her.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths