🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to get refund from freelancer after miles...
Page options
076c1bd1
Community Member

How to get refund from freelancer after milestone release

Hi!

I released the milestone (fixed price contract) of payment of 400dollars contract and a bonus of 500dollars  for good faith to a freelancer where the person lives in a country in war at this moment (every day on the news).  

I gave total 900 dollars only 4~5 days. The reason of release of of milestone is because the freelancer asked me the favor for the war condition is having. And I did with good faith. After that what the freelancer sent me was just some informations and said things are rolling etc for my project. I got no fact to take and the work is not delivered. The freelancer told me calls were made to the to offices as I requested to find a lawyer. I later found out from the offices that don’t recall any email nor calls from him.

The freelancer dragged so much time and I realized I was wrong from trusting and being in good faith. I now actually don’t even know if the freelancer is really located in that country. 

I requested full refund (within 30 days) even the of  bonus of  500dollars because I rather send it to donation site and to people who do not take good faith like this.

From the message I got from Upwork I think it says the freelancer rejects to give the Bonus as I imagine. I am not sure for the undone work will be refunded.

What should I do? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

You should be able to dispute the contract then

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NikolaS

Hi Nanda,

I am sorry to hear about this. I shared your concern with the team handling your case and one of our agents will follow up with you on your ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
076c1bd1
Community Member

Thank you Nikola,

I also really wish the bonus 500dollars to be donated for real even like Upwork donations site something like that. I feel it is not fair that the bonus that cannot be refunded. If I donated the fund which I cleary wrote what the money was for, it is also because I, as a client (new user of Upwork) trusted the safety of this platform. I wish Upwork can understand I as client gave bonus as donation.

As some people can give good faith to others is also because we trust this platform as a safe place. I wish not everything can be taken by policy especially in such a sad moment like this in the world.

Thanks

petra_r
Community Member

I am sorry you encountered a less than ethical freelancer.

Unfortunately, you can only dispute if the last payment was less than 30 days ago.

I requested full refund (within 30 days)

That is not a dispute. How long ago was the last payment made? If it's more than 30 days ago and there are currently no funds left in escrow, it's too late.

076c1bd1
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thank you.

I made contranct in 5th April and the freelancer asked me to release the milestone in 9th. So I paid 400dollar in 9th and I gave 500dollar as donation bonus in 10th (of course the work not delivered ). And I requested a refund on 26th I believe.

petra_r
Community Member

You should be able to dispute the contract then

076c1bd1
Community Member

• Thank you Petra but I got a message from Upwork that the bonus might not be refunded because the freelancer is refusing.

A bonus payment is money that a client sends to a freelancer which is NOT automatically billed. The bonus is only sent because the client intentionally clicks a button, fills out an amount and sends the payment.

Typically bonus payments are paid by clients out of their own volition, because they thought the freelancer did such great work, they deserve some extra money. Also, bonus payments may be arranged between clients and freelancers as a way to pay for additional work not covered by a current hourly or fixed-price contract.

There is no button that a client can push to unilaterally trigger a refund of a bonus payment.

Once a client pays a bonus payment, it is not Upwork's intention that the client ever get that money back.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths