cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get the best freelancers?

Alex W Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
1 of 8

Does anyone know how to get the best freelancers? 

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

I've hired a fair number of freelancers and, generally, it's usually a matter of common sense and trusting your instincts.

Broadly speaking, however, I look at feedback and longevity. Have they been on the platform a while and are their clients leaving positive feedback? Those are good signs.

I also never hire without a Skype call. I can learn a lot about a person by chatting with them for 10-15 minutes.

I don't think I've ever had a freelancer that caused significant problems for us. 

But as a client, you have your responsibilities too. Don't barter on price. The profile rate is the profile rate. Over communicate for the first couple of weeks. This builds engagement for both the freelancer and the client. Make your expectations clear, but make sure they're reasonable and attainable. Provide clear and adequate instructions and keep an "open door" policy. Freelancers should not be fearful or apprehensive about asking questions.

Good luck!

Alex W Member Since: Jun 16, 2017
3 of 8

Thank you Christy! 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

Hire many.

Have your project manager carefully evaluate their work.

Quickly stop working with all but the very best.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 8

Christy has already given you excellent advice. If you're a new client, I strongly recommend that you look for well-established freelancers with extensive histories and good reviews. Once you develop your "instincts" you can start looking at newer freelancers.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 8

With chocolate.

Leave chocolate on your desk. Chocolate attracts them, they cannot resist the sight of chocolate. Once they sneak in, just grab them and put them in a box.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 8

@Rene K wrote:

With chocolate.

Leave chocolate on your desk. Chocolate attracts them, they cannot resist the sight of chocolate. Once they sneak in, just grab them and put them in a box.

Stop giving away the true secrets of success, Rene! Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
8 of 8

Christy's suggestions are dead-on correct.  Remember that freelancers interview prospective clients as well so open and honest conversations work wonders.

Do write an informative RFP. List your needs. You might want to use a 'place holder' as the bid amount - but state the dollar figure is merely a place holder in the first line of your RFP.  

Freelancers understand that clients often don't know the actual cost of the work needed. It is far better to admit you don't know the actual value of the work needed than to list a price too low as the experts will ignore you. Conversely, a dollar amount to high will have you flooded with greedy wanna-be professionals as well as the good ones.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS