🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: How to hide how much I pay each freelance...
Page options
4630eb85
Community Member

How to hide how much I pay each freelancer?

Hi,

I posted my first job on upwork, and so far I've found 2 people I want to hire. Well, there is a 3rd also, who emailed me saying she saw I'm paying X amount to the other 2.  How do I hide that information, in the case I hire more from the same listing, can they all see how much I'm paying each other? 

20 REPLIES 20
mtngigi
Community Member

You can choose 'Only freelancers I have invited can find this job' option to receive applications just from freelancers that you select by clicking the 'Invite to Job' option on their profile.

But also, for a freelancer to point out to you what you pay others is (IMHO) unprofessional and tacky - you are under no obligation to respond to her. I'm flagging your post so hopefully a forum mod's will come along with more help for you.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Erin,

One of our agents will reach out to you via ticket and provide more information about the information shown in the Work History. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Erin,

One of our agents will reach out to you via ticket and provide more information about the information shown in the Work History. Thank you.

Goran, the OP just posted her first job ... the OP does not yet have a work history.

If a client wants to hide/show/customize information that is shown about their work history... that may indeed be a legitimate request that would constitute additional added features that clients appreciate in the Upwork interface.

I don't object to adding flexibility or customization preferences that serve client's needs.

But separately from that, if a freelancer pointed out the contracts of OTHER freelancers I hired, I would regard this freelancer as a pest. I might not hire a person based purely on that.

As a client, I often hire multiple freelancers to work on the same project, sometimes even to do the same tasks. I pay them their posted hourly rates, which are invariably different. Thankfully, I have NOT HAD freelancers ask me about the other freelancers' contracts or payments.

Thanks for your reply!  It's not a big deal for me to be able to hide it, just checking how that worked.  I'm more used to a corporte mindset - I used to work in compensation, so I would see the salaries of everyone in the company, however it was strictly confidential information and the company would never openly post employees pay rates, or would I have been allowed to share that information with anyone, expect as it was needed/ approved.

re: " I used to work in compensation, so I would see the salaries of everyone in the company, however it was strictly confidential information and the company would never openly post employees pay rates"

That is an interesting perspective.

Every dollar I have earned on Upwork is publicly viewable in the work history on my profile page. Every contract from the time I started as a freelancer is listed, along with how much I earned for the contract and (if applicable) what the hourly rate was.

In my "day job" I have worked for most of my adult working life for government-funded research labs and universities. By law, my salary has always been public and available for people to look up on the Internet. Just to be clear: The places I have worked have posted - on the Internet - the names of all employees alongside their salaries. Because these institutions are taxpayer-funded. So that seems reasonable to me. Taxpayers should be able to see how their money is spent.

I do not personally believe that private companies should be required to publicize this kind of information. But many do (for example: Whole Foods).

And let's not forget the country of Norway, where ALL salaries are required by law to be public - whether one works for the government or a private company.

Below is just one example of a database with this kind of information:

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.40.15 PM.png

@Preston H wrote:

re: " I used to work in compensation, so I would see the salaries of everyone in the company, however it was strictly confidential information and the company would never openly post employees pay rates"

That is an interesting perspective.

Every dollar I have earned on Upwork is publicly viewable in the work history on my profile page. Every contract from the time I started as a freelancer is listed, along with how much I earned for the contract and (if applicable) what the hourly rate was.

In my "day job" I have worked for most of my adult working life for government-funded research labs and universities. By law, my salary has always been public and available for people to look up on the Internet. Just to be clear: The places I have worked have posted - on the Internet - the names of all employees alongside their salaries. Because these institutions are taxpayer-funded. So that seems reasonable to me. Taxpayers should be able to see how their money is spent.

I do not personally believe that private companies should be required to publicize this kind of information. But many do (for example: Whole Foods).

And let's not forget the country of Norway, where ALL salaries are required by law to be public - whether one works for the government or a private company.

Below is just one example of a database with this kind of information:

Screen Shot 2018-11-01 at 6.40.15 PM.png

All income, not just the salery Smiley Wink

Anyway. I check a clients history before I apply for a job but I would never mention it in a conversation unless my rate in the proposal matches the other rates but the client wants to pay far less.

Virginia F wrote:

Goran, the OP just posted her first job ... the OP does not yet have a work history.

OP said they hired two other people for the same job though, that would show up if they began working at an hourly rate... so it would be viewable as present day open contracts.

I also think it would be a problem if Upwork decided to hide clients' hire rates - simply because if I see someone is looking for expert level work, but they hire so called "experts" for 25$ an hour, I decide not to apply because it is a waste of everyone's time. But I agree with preston, I would not hire this person. What they said is tacky, and rude. There is frankly just no way to know how one compares to another, only the hiring person would know what was agreed upon.

I need to know how to do this as well.
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Eric,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Could you please show me how to to do this as well.My contractor requested it due to her coworkers onother projects bothering her about her above average salary.

Hi Andre,

Unfortunately we don't have this option at the moment but the freelancer can hide their earnings from their end as well. If they need any help with this they can reach out to us here or our customer support directly, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Is it possible to have an Upwork's representative get in touch with me regarding this matter?

Thank you!

Hi Jose,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Bojan, 

Can I please ask that an UpWork agent reach out to me via ticket to assist with the same issue as well?

Thank you,

Holly 

Hi Holly,

I can see you were able to submit a support ticket with our team regarding this. Please allow some time for our team to review and they will update you directly via ticket as soon as possible.

~Andrea
Upwork

I would also like to hide what I've paid other freelancers. How do I do that? I've seen a number of posts about this.

petra_r
Community Member

Greg C wrote:

I would also like to hide what I've paid other freelancers. How do I do that?

This is only available to Enterprise level clients.

7e76cd81
Community Member

Hi--I have freelancers quoting former amounts paid and wanting me to match. How do I make payments PRIVATE. This has happened now a few times. thanks. 

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths