🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to make a completed job private?
Page options
f6821d1f
Community Member

How to make a completed job private?

Hi,

Is it possible to make a completed job private? 
I do not want that all job documents will remain public.

Thanks

45 REPLIES 45
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Yossi,

You can change this from your home page > go over to the Status section on the right > click on the three dots > and chose Make private.
image.png

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks for the answer. 

I see that I can do it before the job is closed.

Is there a way to make a completed job private?

Yossi

Hi Yossi,

Yes this will make the job completely private and only freelancers you invite will be able to see it.
The same option is available when your creating a job posting.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran,

I believe the OP is asking if an already completed job can be made private.

petra_r
Community Member

@Virginia F wrote:

Goran,

I believe the OP is asking if an already completed job can be made private.

The same applies. Making a job post private (completed or in progress)  also makes it private in the feedback of the client and the freelancer, in other words, the job posting can no longer be accessed via the feedback, and the completed job does not show on the logged out view of the freelancer's profile anymore.

f6821d1f
Community Member

Thanks for helping but I cannot find where cabn I make a closed job private. I do not see this option.

petra_r
Community Member

@Yossi B wrote:

Thanks for helping but I cannot find where cabn I make a closed job private. I do not see this option.

Have you gone to the actual job posting, not the contract that resulted from it?

f6821d1f
Community Member

Yes. I see a "Make Private" option when the job is open but I cannot see it Closed or Filled job.

@Yossi B wrote:

Yes. I see a "Make Private" option when the job is open but I cannot see it Closed or Filled job.

I don't have any jobs open right now, but on my closed jobs I cannot see where to do this either. I have a vague memory that I have also asked this question previously (I believe I actually wanted to go the other way, and change a private job to a public one) and was told that once the job is closed you can't change it.

Has anyone figured this out yet. I cannot see where I can make a completed job private. The three dots do NOT show the "private" option.

Hi Chuck,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Yossi, and Jennifer, 

As confirmed by our Support Team, once a contract has already been closed/ended, the option to set it to private will not be available. 

~ Avery
Upwork
sfguido
Community Member

Hello, I have to say that this thread is very confusing, until Upwork Support finally gives the bad news that that a job cannot be made private, once it has been closed or the contract ended. (Maybe edit the thread?)

So, grasping at straws here, can a closed job (contract not ended yet) be either deleted, or edited in any way? LIke the OP, I am concerned that I have given away information in my job posting that I don't want my competitors to see.

My understanding is that as long as the contract is active you can change the setting.

Hi Andrew,

A job post cannot be edited by a user once it has been removed/closed, regardless of an active contract. However, you are able to contact the support team and explain to them your need to make the job private and they are able to review and help assist with such requests.

~Nina

I can see value in making jobs private once the right team has been assembled. How do we ask Upwork team to allow post to be made private once they are being executed or are completed?

tta192
Community Member

Jean-Philippe M wrote:

I can see value in making jobs private once the right team has been assembled. How do we ask Upwork team to allow post to be made private once they are being executed or are completed?

On the contrary, the freelancer will see value in keeping the job public since it appears on his profile during & after execution. If you want it to be private the freelancer needs to know about that beforehand. You should consider this part of the contract terms; any change requires both parties to agree so it may result in different cost/timeline/etc., or even in the deal falling through.

This is correct - I did it several times

7b826d7b
Community Member

Is it possible to contact customer service to reopen a contract to make it private? I have a posting/contract that was closed but it's very important that I make it private due to proprietary information. 

Hi Kyle,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
7b826d7b
Community Member

Someone reached out. Thanks!
da605d01
Community Member

Hi Andrea,

Could you also ask someone to contact me because I have the same problem and would like to make private a completed work. I have just noticed that the description of the work + the attached documents are public... This is very strange. How is it that possible ?

Regards

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran,

I hope you are well. 

Experiencing the same challenge, need to make a job private after the job isn't listed in the active list.

Would appreciate if someone from the support team contacts me regarding this, as seems it is impossible to change visibility setting for the job description from the UI after the job completed/contract closure. 

Best regards,

Andrey

16f0fa28
Community Member

Hi,

I want to make my job private the three dots (...) dont have the option "make private". My job is no longer accepting more proposals but I still have an unpaid and OPEN contract. How do I make it private?

Hi Simon,

I checked your account and it looks like our team is already assisting you directly regarding your concern with setting your job post to private. One of our agents will update you directly via a support ticket. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
5a9c74cd
Community Member

Is there any way for Upwork to edit this thread so that only the solution is given?  It's on the third page of the thread

Hi, may somebody also contact me in order to set my jobs private. 

Hi Andrej,

You can change the visibility of the job or close it entirely by following these steps: 

To change your job to private

1. Locate the job by going to Jobs  My Jobs
  2. Click Make Private from the (...) options menu

To close your job

2. Click Remove Posting from the (...) options menu
~ Joanne
Upwork
75719ed4
Community Member

Hi Can san someone help me make my closed jobs private, too?

Hi Alex,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your jobs visibility. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for all the insightful information. I have similar issue as well. Given certain information, I will also need to make my job private after hiring. Could someone from UpWork kindly assist? Very much appreciated.

Hi TK,

To set the completed job to private, please follow the steps below: 

2. Click Make Private from the (...) options menu

Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Can someone contact me about this? I do not have the option to make the jobs private and they need to be private.

The instructions here are not accurate, at least not in my account.. i dont see that option:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063458-Change-Job-Post-Visibility

Hi Kevin,

I can see that our team already assisted you with your concern. If you need further assistance, please feel free to update the ticket, and our team will be happy to assist you further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
985bccd4
Community Member

Hello,
Could you please help me in making my current contracts as private and not visible as they reveal many details?

Hi Mohammad,

I shared your request with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Joanne, hi, I sent an inquery above to Goran, but seems he is no longer with you guys. 

Any chance someone from the support team could please help make the job posting that I closed private? 

That's the only job so far I have created, hired freelancers, now need to make it private. 

Please kindly advise if this is possible. 

P.S. I closed the job before making it private, so can't make changes to the visibility setting now. 

Best regards,

Andrey

Hi Andrey,

I would be happy to help. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths