🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to open dispute??
Page options
d08a8c51
Community Member

How to open dispute??

Hi, I gave a job to a freelancer with two milestone; he did not complete his first milestone 100% as on deadline.He requested to release the money saying that i will complete it together as small adjustements are pending. Now he surpassed second milestone deadline, do not have anything to show and requesting for payment again saying that "i will complete soon ; i will complete soon" . What should i do? Should i end the contract and open case or the contract should be active. Can you please suggest a solution

8 REPLIES 8
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What should i do? Should i end the contract and open case or the contract should be active. Can you please suggest a solution"

Althaf: I am sorry that you are experiencing this disappointing situation. It sounds like this freelancer really let you down. You need to put your project first and stop trying to work with him.

I do not understand all of the details of your situation, but this is how I see things, based on what you said:

It sounds like the freelancer is in over his head here, or for whatever reason simply isn't doing the work.

You do not need to open a dispute, because you are the client. With fixed-price contracts, a dispute is used by a freelancer in case the client does not pay for completed work.

You simply need to close the contract. When you do so, you will be asked if you want to release payment or request a refund. You may specify any refund amount, including the full amount of money in escrow.

It is VERY POSSIBLE that the client would welcome the chance to get out of this situation. If I was the client, I would send a note to the freelancer:

"Benjamin: Thank you for your efforts on the project thus far. I feel like this may be putting undue pressure on you, and I realy need to push this project forward. You already did 30% of the work that we need for the current milestone, so I would like to release 30% of the money in escrow immediately, and close the contract. That way you will get paid right away for what you have already done, but you won't need to do anything else. If that is okay with you, I'll go ahead and do this in 2 hours."

(Change the details to fit your own situation, of course.)

If the freelancer has no objection to this, then you can close the contract, request the appropriate refund amount, and the freelancer will agree to this on his end. No dispute will be raised, and you both can move on.

If the freelancer does not agree, then you may need to explain to him that you can request a refund of ALL of the money in escrow, which would mean he will be paid nothing further and this would move to a dispute (mediation), or even arbitration.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Althaf,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with the Freelancer and advise on further steps on your Contract.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
b1960e0e
Community Member

I am having an issue with a freelancer who is not responding. 
https://www.upwork.com/ab/c/6686799/contracts/23161523#milestones%2F20191110%2F20191209

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with your request.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Daniel: You don't actually need anyone else's help if you have a freelancer who isn't responding.

All you need to do is assign the tasks to another member of the team.

2cfa9f67
Community Member

Hi Bojan , 

Im having an issure with 1 of my contracts as the freelancer has not reached the goals we agreed on , can someone reach out to me as i cant seem to find how a way to fix the issue 

Thanks 

Hi Adam,

I shared your concern with the team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

The first step is to request a refund and close the contract. The request goes to the freelancer who has 7 (I think?) days to accept or reject. If they reject, then it bounces back to you. You can either accept or reject the freelancer's request for funds again (although, it's weirdly worded and asks if you want to accept or reject the dispute). If you reject, the dispute process starts.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths