🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to pay for sample work
Page options
3a09df15
Community Member

How to pay for sample work

Hello,

I've read that I can set up a separate contract with "Hire Freelancer" Button, just to pay for sample work. But I can't find anything about that. If I want to pay someone's sample work but don't want to hire him/her, how do I do that?

Or do i have to create an invisible job just for sample work?

What if someone ask me if a sample work can be done for me, without me asking, does that have to be paid for?

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Thomas

You will need to hire a freelancer in order for them to start working on your job and be able to issue payment after receiving the agreed work.
If you would like to see freelancers past projects/experience you can open their profiles and scroll down to the portfolio section. You can also hire a freelancer on a test period to provide you with a sample. You can negotiate with your shortlisted candidates for the test as asking for free work is a violation of our TOS.

I can also recommend to check out our guides for Client Webinar Getting the Most Out of Upwork and Client Tutorial Videos, if you have any additional questions feel free to post them here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What if someone ask me if a sample work can be done for me, without me asking, does that have to be paid for?"

Thomas:

If somebody asks to create sample work for you, you do not need to pay them anything.

You need to tell them: "Thank you for the offer. To follow Upwork's rules, I do not ask freelancers to do free work."

If somebody sends you free sample work which you did not ask for, then you do not need to pay them.

If somebody asks if they can send you custom work, and you agree to their request, then you need to set up a contract for them before they do the work.

GREAT QUESTION!

I also have this issue, it's becoming quite tedious to manage and arrange "sample" work!

Please let's find a solution to this

re: "I also have this issue, it's becoming quite tedious to manage and arrange "sample" work!"

Christopher: I want Upwork to be easy to use and provide great solutions for clients. I want clients to have an awesome experience when they use the site. That can only make things better for everybody.

Currently there is a way for clients to manage and arrange "sample" work. But the current methods do not meet your expectations.

What do you have in mind?

What would you like to see?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths