cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to price a project?

Mark J Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
1 of 4

I have a catalog project that I want to create but frankly I have no idea how to price the project. I am not a graphics person so I do not have a concept of the time it will take to complete or level of skill that is required. I am guesstimating a 24-30 page catalog but it could be more depending on the layout. Ideally I would like to do a fixed rate project but I am not sure what is fair or even a method for calculating a estimate. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
2 of 4

@Mark J wrote:

I have a catalog project that I want to create but frankly I have no idea how to price the project.

Luckily, you don't have to!  Just hire a freelancer on an hourly basis and take as much, or as little, time as you need to complete your project.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Your catalog project has many separate graphics and pages that need to be created.

You really should not hire 1 person to do this.

You should hire 4 people, on an hourly basis, and give them assignments for different graphics or pages that need to be created.

After 5 days:

- one of these contractors will not have turned in any work, but will have excuses. Close the contract on that person.

- one of these contractors will have turned in work that did not take very much time, so it wasn't expensive, but the work really does not at all reflect the high level of quality you envision for your project. Thank him for his work and close the contract.

- one of these contractors did amazing work, but it took her a long time to do it, and if you continue using her the catalog will cost a lot more money to produce than you planned. Thank her for her work and close the contract.

- one of the contractors did really great work at a great price and when you multiply things out you can see that having her finish the project will be within a budget you are comfortable with. Give her additional assignments and have her finish the project.

Note that everybody who did any work was paid for their time, and nobody was promised an ongoing job. You paid a couple people for small amounts of time, and they did what you asked. But you only continue working with the contractor who is the best fit for this job. You own ALL the work that was provided to you, but you don't necessarily have to use it all. You might pay the best contractor to re-do the work of the low-quality contractor.

Alternatively, if you're really set on using the fixed-price contract model, hire 4 different contractors to do 4 different pages and continue working with whomever does work that you find works best for your project.

Community Leader
Mahmudul H Member Since: Jul 9, 2012
4 of 4

Hi Mark, Well, in my point of views here is some possibilities how to price a project.

1. First think yourself how much you can spend on that project. make a budget for it.

2. Hire hourly based freelancer.

3. Explain your project with your freelancer and ask him to give you an estimate budget for the job.

4. Shortlist some candidate to compare the price (its not about lowest price is should based on the quality)

5. Finally always remember good solution comes with a good amount Smiley Very Happy

All the best.

TOP RATED - WordPress Designer and Developer
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS