cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to print an entire Upwork message thread

Lucas H Member Since: Jul 26, 2017
31 of 53

What I did that sort of worked--a bit better than trying to highlight the entire chat:

1. In Firefox, right-click within the messages list (anywhere on the page would probably work).
  2. Select "Save Page As."
  3. Give it a name and save it as a txt file.
  4. This file can then be opened in an editor and used as needed.

Several considerations:

• This will probably only work if you've loaded the entire chat. I had lots of messages in the thread but they seemed to all save. This might have been because I scrolled to the beginning of the chat before saving--I don't know.
  • The entire page's text will be there, of course, so you'll want to trim the extraneous info.
  • Styling is gone.
Damien D Member Since: Aug 9, 2017
32 of 53

Same problem for me. I need to justify the time of developments by give the conversion archive well formatted.

1. Copy/Past in word give only the text. That's not an optimal solution.
  2. Print in PDF not working if I load all of the conversion
  3. ScreenShot extension give me white page.

Ace Contributor
Tamal S Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
33 of 53

Hi everybody,

I just saw this thread today and out of curiosity, I am trying to build a Chrome extension to capture entire UW message thread (single room) Here is a screenshot of its functionality (I have just started, so it is in very early stage of development) You'll just have to load all messages and click a button, that's it.extension screenshot.jpg

Can I share this extension in the forum after I'm done with it? Can any moderation confirm me that it is not against UW ToS?
Thanks.

"I'm silently judging your font choice."

Vlad M Member Since: May 16, 2017
34 of 53

Here is how I solved this issue for me.

Open upwork messages page in firefox, opera, safari, or chrome

Open developer tools and navigate to the console.

Copy&paste code from this bin**Edited for Community Guidelines** into textarea and press enter.

The script above removes unwanted divs and prepare page for a pretty format before get printed.

The last step - save page as pdf)

Ace Contributor
35 of 53

Ace Contributor
36 of 53

Hi Vlad,
As far as I know, UW does not allow to share a javascript and inspire someone to inject code via console though it is an innocent script (Can any mod please confirm that?)

About your script-- It breaks the whole page after initiating the print sequence so it is not very user-friendly from my point of view. Also, some pages were missing in the print preview.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
37 of 53
Hi Vlad,
As far as I know, UW does not allow to share a javascript and inspire someone to inject code via console though it is an innocent script (Can any mod please confirm that?)

About your script-- It breaks the whole page after initiating the print sequence so it is not very user-friendly from my point of view. Also, some pages were missing in the print preview.

Carl H Member Since: Sep 6, 2017
38 of 53

I dont want to fiddle. 

• printing to PDF isn't working, messages are missing
  • save as HTML, looks quite raw

Even better, or on top of export message thread, it would be to fully email enable a disucussion:

• receiving clean copies from those who work on UW UI
  • replying to such emails by email, showing it in UW UI
  • send new email to message therad

For now we switch to email, as Skype etc. isn't much better. And lately it can be cosidered more secure - even sent plain text.

Eleanor T Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
39 of 53

Hi there

I see you can print a message thread but wondering if you can download one? Mine has tons of useful information that I want to sort - I have tried copying and pasting but that only seems to work in chunks and it's a long one..!

Thank you!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
40 of 53

Hi Eleanor,

Unfortunately, there is no option to download all messages in a Message room at once.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS