cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print an entire Upwork message thread

Phil K Member Since: Oct 27, 2015
1 of 53

As a client, I find the messages exchanged between myself and a hired freelancer something that should be preserved offline, either on paper, or as a PDF. The sometimes months of messages that are exchanged can be useful months or years later, if those messages contain details about the operation of a program that is being developed, for example. Things that may have been forgotten during the development can be reviewed if the project's message thread between the client and freelancer can be saved/printed/exported to the client's hard drive.

Yet, despite what would seem to be an obvious need, I have failed to find any way to do just that. Simply using Firefox or Chrome's or IE's "Print" or "Save As" functions, you cannot get the ENTIRE message thread preserved offline.

Why is this? Does it make sense to have no option of being able to refer back to an old project's communication/message thread other than by being connected to Upwork's Inbox?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 53

Hi Philip,

Thank you for sharing your experience and suggestion with us. Although a feature to download the content of conversations from Upwork is not among our priorities, it is something we are considering implementing eventually.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Saurabh K Member Since: Aug 9, 2017
3 of 53

Any updates to this thread?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 53

Hi Saurabh,

Unfortunately, we don't have any additional information yet.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
5 of 53

Philip,

You may want to try downloading the following extension from Chrome.  

I believe it may be helpful in your situation.

Adobe Acrobat Extension.png

6 of 53

Printing the web page to PDF does not solve the problem.  Your suggestion fails to realize that the message thread portion of one's INBOX is an inframe component arrangement with a scroll bar.  Print the web page only prints what is visible on the page when you start the print job.  Printing does not get you the entire message thread that may date back months.

Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
7 of 53

Philip,

I am a troubleshooter and enjoy solving problems, whenever possible.

Realizing you would like to save your “Upwork Messages/Threads, between your Freelancers and Yourself/Company.

I, myself, like to keep records of my messages/threads between Client/Freelancer as well.

Just thought I could be of help by giving you a “temporary solution”, until Upwork implements downloading of such.

Ok, Nix the Extension. I do not believe that would be beneficial in this case; however…

In the attachment are more “temporary solutions”.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

8 of 53

Thank you for your assistance.

Community Guru
9 of 53

You are very welcome. Happy to hear I could help.

Mei L Member Since: Mar 15, 2018
10 of 53
Thank you so much, Philips, for the question. And thank you, Linda, for the solution file. Helps me a great deal. Really appreciate this conversation.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS