cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print an entire Upwork message thread

Eric L Member Since: Mar 14, 2017
21 of 53

Vladimir,

I wanted to echo the need for this feature...with multiple projects and a lot of technical data that is being exchanged in message threads, I absolutely need to save this information to ensure we don't lose a technical exchange that may be important later.  Having the ability to archive an entire message thread as a PDF or DOCX is really key.  Having to scroll up tediously and wait for older messages to load to store each page is ridiculous. 

Thank you.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
22 of 53

An AutoIt script could possibly navigate the entire message thread and save the contents.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Rhonda B Member Since: Nov 15, 2016
23 of 53

This is still causing problems for me. I'll often gather info on 10 or more different topics about a client and their company - and the projects - before I begin writing. 

Trying to scroll back for the small details is very time-consuming and leaves a high risk of error.

Garth J Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
24 of 53

This is a problme for me today as my accountant is looking for backup documentation on a project to help justiify the costs paid to a upwork freelancer. So that when CRA (Canadian Goverment) audit us, we can prove that all $s paid was for services and notjust because.  Sure the invoice feature helps but there is virtually no details on the invioce, just the title of the project.

I find this hard to beleive that upwork has not created a method to print the entire tread to a PDF. This would solve the entire problem. Copying and pasting between PDF and word, just doesn't cut it.

Community Guru
Carolyn G Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
25 of 53

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that earlier I responded to this thread with a solution to this issue. However, I later learned that this is an internal tool, but I have brought it to the attention of our Development team as a requested feature. As for now, the best workaround would be to right click on the page when you are viewing the message room, select "Print", and on most computers, there is an option to print to PDF. If this option is not available, there are free downloadable programs online that can perform this action.

I apologize for the confusion.

~Carolyn
Untitled
Garth J Member Since: Apr 2, 2017
26 of 53

Hi Carolyn,

Have you tried that to print a messages? Seriously, it is a joke.  It will ONLY ever print the first message. It doesn't matter which message you select in the thread when printing.

See the attached PDF that I printed.

• Notice that it is just the first message within the thread.
  • Notice that you only get part of the message.
  • Notice in the attached PDF that you get a blank page too.
  • Notice that the formating is well "bad" to be polite.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
27 of 53

The only way to do it is to copy/paste into Word and then print. It's clumsy, but it works.

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
28 of 53

Nichola L. stated:

The only way to do it is to copy/paste into Word and then print. It's clumsy, but it works.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

That's how I've always done it since I discovered early on that there was no user friendly way to accomplish it.  Yes, it is clumsy but does get the job done. 

Moderators:  Please share this dilemma with the "powers that be" so hopefully an actual, user-friendly way can be accomplished soon.  Thanks much!  Smiley Happy

Dave G Member Since: Aug 13, 2016
29 of 53

This thread was opened one year and a half ago.

Why can't Upwork create this feature? They began to charge higher commisions lately, but what about listening to the same clients that are paying these commissions?

I have a one year old huge project that I Chatted for months on Upwork with my developer, I dod't remember how some feature works, and to find out I will have to press and scroll about 500 times to see all message history.

extemely annoying and disapponiting.

Lucas H Member Since: Jul 26, 2017
30 of 53

Bumping this request. For all of the reasons mentioned above, this would be a valuable option.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS