cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reverse a refund request activated by Upwork

Nicola P Member Since: Feb 13, 2017
1 of 6

Hello, I would like to cancel a refund request to one of our freelancers. The refund request has been activated by Upwork, however, we are happy that he has submitted this work (milestone 1) and happy for him to keep payment. Please can somebody let me know how to cancel this request from our end? Thank you.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Upwork does not usually action refund requests.

Is it possible that what you see is a request to get the funds for milestone 2 back from Escrow?

3 of 6

It says that upwork closed the contract due to inactivity and our freelancer has said that he has been asked to refund the money to us. I am contacting him to make sure he can access his funds. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Ah, if there was no activity for several months that's what happens. How many milestones were there (funded?)

This refund und would be (ONLY) for the funds in Escrow. Not something released previously.

If the freelancer is entitled to those funds in Escrow tell them to dispute the return and then accept the dispute.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Nicola,

I can confirm we notify both parties before closing a dormant contracts with funds in Escrow and initiating a refund. As Petra mentioned, only funds sitting in Escrow are affected and not the previous payments you processed on this contract. You can communicate with your freelancer and ask them to decline the request if you agree to release the funds, or accept it if you'd like to have the funds refunded back to you.

6 of 6

Thanks all, I think we have it sorted now. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS