cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to set milestones ? How does it work if not satisfied on milestone 1 ?

jean-michel a Member Since: Sep 3, 2017
1 of 3

Hi there, 

I've posted a fixed price job (no defined any milestones yet) 

I'm eager to hire but the milestones concept is very tempting as safe net, in order to see how freelancer meets expectentions. 

Should I define milestones before hiring (I want to do it in 4 milestones) ? If that's the case, i've not seen how to do it and i have already posted a job.

If milestones can only be defined once I hire, lets assume I fund the whole project. What happens if the freelance/submitted work do not satisfy my expectations ? Do i loose the money funded for milestone 1 ? Can i claim it back ? Can I hire other freelancer to redo milestone 1 ? 

Thanks for your help 

Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
2 of 3

Hi Jean-Michel,

Upwork Fixed-Price Protection uses escrow to manage payments so you are only paying for work that you approve. This protects you and your freelancer since your freelancer can start work knowing funds are securely held in escrow and you can release funds to freelancer only when you approve the submitted work.

You may ceck out this link to for further information on how our Fixed price works.

Lanie M
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 3

I'll offer a few suggestions from the freelancer's perspective; I hope this might help a bit.

Look carefully at a freelancer's work history and feedback (and portfolio if that applies); ask questions pertinent to your project. There are canned questions Upwork provides, but more targeted questions are appreciated. The more thorough your RFP is, the better we can respond with an informed bid and any questions of our own. Oftentimes something as simple as your deadline is something clients forget to state.

Something else you may want to consider is just funding a small amount of money for a freelancer to do a test sample. Depending on the job, this may be a good way to determine whether or not they'll be a good fit for what you're looking for.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS