cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to solve payment declined issue between Bank and up-work support?

Nauman J Member Since: Jul 6, 2015
1 of 6

Hey fellows,

I added a new card other day. All test transactions and verification went fine. Only when it came to payment, the payment was declined. I immidiatly contacted upwork support and they asked me to check with bank, as they dont have any information why bank is rejecting their system call.

From bank side, they told me that CVV2 is missing in the transaction. It was a relieved, felt like we have a root of problem here. Only when i went back to UpWork support, the response was something like 

"We dont have a problem in our system. Its working for everyone. Bring some proof, so it can be escalated to technical team OR contact your bank for new payment method."

Also the tone from support was very non-cooperative or any effort to provide resolution for this. 

So, Help me here. What can I do?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Nauman,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience. I checked the information on our end and it does look like your card is declining on the bank's end. Could you please check if transactions through the Internet are allowed on your account or there are any other issues that would block a charge from Upwork? 

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 6

Hey Valeria, 

Thanks for your reply, I just had test transaction from upwork, an hour ago. As you can see test transactions are fine. I did check with the bank and they claim that CVV2 is missing from your side. Now I am not saying that what they are saying must be true and I have asked them for some proof, that can prove their grounds. Since, I also suspect that there is a mistake from UPWORK side. 

Having said that, if bank is not very cooperative. I just wonder what can i expect from UPWORK side or should not i expect any. Rest assured, adding a new payment here is not a resolution. 

There has to be some way to resolve this.

Thanks

Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 6

Hi Nauman,

Upwork does not store the CVV number, you add it when entering your card details. Then, when we seek authorization from the bank, the bank confirms or denies the details. If approved, the card is stored as a verified method of payment however, for security purposes, we do not store and send the CVV for future transactions. If your bank is making it a requirement for the merchant to send the CVV with each transaction then you will need to work with your bank to make an exception to add Upwork to a white list that does not require the code.

I hope this helps,

Lena 

Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Nauman:

Might need to use a different bank.

Personally I am glad that Upwork doesn't store CVV numbers.

That sounds like a security risk.

6 of 6

Thanks Lena. Your response is more explanatory. I had wrong understanding that it was stored,since there is a field for it , when you setup the card. 

Thanks Preston, It seems like that choosing another bank is the right option here.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS