cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to waste your invites!

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 22

When you search for freelancers, accounts that have no earnings and no jobs and no activity at all, created years ago (and thus maybe abandoned), still show up, making you waste your free invites.

Why the frak does Upwork show these abandoned accounts in search? I mean with Basic, we have only three invites to spend!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
2 of 22

Rene K wrote:

When you search for freelancers, accounts that have no earnings and no jobs and no activity at all, created years ago (and thus maybe abandoned), still show up, making you waste your free invites.

Why the frak does Upwork show these abandoned accounts in search? I mean with Basic, we have only three invites to spend!

To bully you into buying a paid client plan, perhaps? 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 22

Hi Rene,

Thanks for the report, could you please pm me a screenshot of the inactive profiles appearing in search results as well as a few of the profile links, so I could take a look?

Community Guru
4 of 22

PMed to Vlad.

-----------
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 22

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Rene,

Thanks for the report, could you please pm me a screenshot of the inactive profiles appearing in search results as well as a few of the profile links, so I could take a look?

Vlad, how is it possible that there are so many accounts with 0$ earned and inactive that are still visible when UW is so quick to "hide" the accounts when you don't make money in a month?

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
6 of 22
Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Rene,

Vlad, how is it possible that there are so many accounts with 0$ earned and inactive that are still visible when UW is so quick to "hide" the accounts when you don't make money in a month?

That's a very good question

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 22

This is not a "follow up on freelancer reports" question.

This is a database query question.

There is a difference between:

"Find freelancers where earnings = 0 and date_created > 2 years ago"

...compared to:

"Detect incidents where a freelancer padded his resume by suggesting he has a Master's degree from a university where actually he only completed 1 years of a Masters program."

[What is the difference? One is quite doable, and not compex. The other is complicated and probably not doable given available resources and infrastructure.]

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 22

Rene K wrote:

That's pretty weird considering that Upwork is routinely hiding active freelancers who have gone a few weeks without earning. How is it that freelancers who have never earned and are > 60 days on the site are still showing up at all? Mods?

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
9 of 22

I agree. It's silly...

Rene K wrote:

By the way, can you guys tell me how do you know an account was created years ago? where exactly does that appear in the search results or in the profile page?

Community Guru
10 of 22

I want to let everyone know thad Vlad is currently investigating this and communicating with me.

If the freelancers I have spotted are active on Upwork in the way that they are actively looking for a job (which only upwork knows), then Upwork may be right in showing them.

If not and if it's a bug, then I guess this will be escalated to IT.

-----------
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS