Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work with web developers on small tasks - File Transfer

d3893c5f
Joseph C Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
1 of 6

Hello,

I've posted a job to have a custom Joomla layout created.

I know enough that a few files will need to be created for what I need.

My expectation is that the freelancer would create the layout, transfer the files to me so I can test them out, and then I would pay him.

Is that how such things are done on Upwork?

I'm getting requests to create cpanel and ftp access which doesn't seem like a good idea when dealing with people I don't know.

Looking for how these logistically things are typically handled and what options there are.

Thanks

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

Joseph,

I haven't worked on Joomla in a long time and never on Upwork, but CMS is CMS and the method you prefer is one way to get the job done. Unless the only changes to be made are in the front end -- meaning CSS & Javascript -- this *will* require more work on the part of the freelancer because she/he would need to duplicate your site in a local server before she/he can customize it. So if this is an hourly job, you're increasing the hours needed to complete the task. Also, you'll probably have to export the site somehow so she/he can import it to her/his local server since you're not allowing cpanel or FTP.

Joseph C Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
3 of 6

So if you give someone access what access should they get for ftp and cpanel?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 6

Joseph, a good compromise would be to create a development/staging site, perhaps in a subdirectory, that duplicates the live site, and only allow FTP to the staging area, That way, you'll expedite work while simultaneously protecting the live site from any mishap. This will be more work for you, but it would be useful for any future development projects. But unless I'm mistaken, there's no such thing as limited cpanel access, so if you choose to grant cpanel access, make a full backup of the site prior to sharing cpanel, then perhaps change cpanel password once work is completed, if that's not too disruptive or inconvenient.

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

It is normal for a web developer to ask for ftp and cpanel access.

If you don't want to provide these, then simply specify in the job posting that the developer needs to have his own development server.

I am not available to hire for this job, but personally, I always provide my own development environment for projects. I provide ftp and cpanel access to clients, not the other way around. There are plenty of developers who do the same.

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
6 of 6

It's your project. You can have it any way you want.

I will show you the "error of your ways", if there are any. So far, you have demonstrated that you know what you want and it sounds reasonable.

At this time "its your way or the highway".

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS