🐈
» Forums » Clients » How to
Page options
9c9d2c13
Community Member

How to

I've got a fixed rate contarct with a freelancer. I want to set milestones as it's a big project. However, when I add a milestone it adds to the fixed rate contract price. I don't want to add to the contract price. I want to set milestones so that I can release partial payments as the job progresses and each goal is met. So, in my scenario, a milestone would be set with an amount attached; then, when that goal is met, that amount of money is released to the freelancer. How do I do this without the contract price increasing?

4 REPLIES 4
sgortyal
Community Member

Lori, you can add milestone as: Go to Jobs > My Jobs and choose the contract, Click the + New Milestone button, You can put details of milestone, amount ,etc.

And If after adding milestone, the contract price is increasing then you funded entire contract price. But you can release it in milestones. Set the terms with the freelancer, as total project is funded but I will release it in milestones.

Suppose, total amount funded is 100. And you can approve / release amount as per tasks in small breakups. If first milestone reached, then just release the amount you agreed upon (say 20), release 20$. Then add another milestone and so on.

"Your initial deposit at hiring can be for the full contract amount or the first milestone. You can then add and fund additional milestones as agreed with the freelancer throughout the contract. If you ever release less than the agreed milestone amount, the extra funds in escrow will roll forward to the next milestone. The funds stay in escrow until the agreed upon work is completed."

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068208

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068218

This does not answer my question. I funded the entire project. Let’s say the entire contract (or project) is $100. I funded that entire amount that is now in escrow. Now, if I want to create a milestone to make sure the project is staying on track, it INCREASES the contract amount. So if I want to create 4 milestones for my $100 contract, and they are each for $25. Then my contract price ends up being $200. I don’t want to increase the contract price, I just want to make sure it stays on track by creating milestones that will be paid when it’s met. So, if I have a $100 contract and add one milestone for $25, that should not change the contract price, so that when the milestone is met and I pay that milestone, the contract balance should be $75.

If a milestone increases the fixed contract price, then I will end up with double the contract price. How can I add a milestone without increasing the contract price?

"Your initial deposit at hiring can be for the full contract amount or the first milestone. You can then add and fund additional milestones as agreed with the freelancer throughout the contract. If you ever release less than the agreed milestone amount, the extra funds in escrow will roll forward to the next milestone. The funds stay in escrow until the agreed upon work is completed."

see, you funded entire project price once. Now you cant divide it in parts initially with milestones. So let it be full amount for 1st milestone, but while releasing amount, release it in parts as per deliverables. And here you can add milestones. For further info, refer this question and answer, I think the same problem is discussed there:https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Adding-Milestones-Increases-Budget/td-p/504241

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lori, 

You should be able to create new milestones by following the steps outlined here

1. Go to Jobs > My Jobs and choose the contract
  2. Choose the Review & Pay button and approve the previous milestone (the previous milestone has to be approved first)
  3. Choose the + New Milestone button
  4. Add the milestone name, due date, amount, and a detailed message describing the work to be done

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths