cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Flaw in Upwork System

Miss K Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
1 of 30

The option for level of pay and work -- Entry Intermediate, Advanced -- causes HUGE issues with bids due to the huge pay difference among countries/continents. 

If I create a post with an Entry choice, I get lower bids but the same people will bid higher if I choose the Intermediate choice. 

So, if I want to hire someone in the Us with mid-level or advanced experience, I choose  one of those two, But then, I get all these bid from people overseas for at ridiculous rates for their location. If I choose Entry level to get more reasonable bids from overseas, the freelancers in North America decline because they see "low-rate."

It's a flawed system. Upwork, you need to resolve this issue. 

Thanks

Community Guru
Vince D Member Since: Feb 18, 2016
2 of 30

Since I work in a smaller niche I tend to just ignore the level and bid if I think the project is worthwhile or interesting. If the client thinks my bid is too high, c'est la vie. But given that Filemaker is a small marketplace I have connects to spare so it's not a waste.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
Buckaroo Banzai
Ace Contributor
Alexandru I Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
3 of 30

While overseas people usually have a lower cost of living, there are still pently costs that are constant (e.g. laptops, gadgets, traveling etc.). So when someone delivers a project at good quality, they may want to get paid based on they deliver, not based on where they're currently located.

In most cases, I doubt that the bid has anything to do with the project level.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 30

@Miss K wrote:

The option for level of pay and work -- Entry Intermediate, Advanced -- causes HUGE issues with bids due to the huge pay difference among countries/continents. 

If I create a post with an Entry choice, I get lower bids but the same people will bid higher if I choose the Intermediate choice. 

So, if I want to hire someone in the Us with mid-level or advanced experience, I choose  one of those two, But then, I get all these bid from people overseas for at ridiculous rates for their location. If I choose Entry level to get more reasonable bids from overseas, the freelancers in North America decline because they see "low-rate."

It's a flawed system. Upwork, you need to resolve this issue. 

Thanks

Dear Miss K,

I suggest to take a different perspective. State what the job is worth to you instead of looking at the rates in the individual countries. Why would you care, if somebody in a developing country receives a payment that is extraordinary high for the region?

I personally always quote the same price regardless of the level the client states. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 30

@Joachim M wrote:

I personally always quote the same price regardless of the level the client states. 

Me too. I never quote differently regardless of what they specify. If it's an invite and I think the budget is too low, I have nothing to lose but to bid. Sometimes I decline but sometimes I like to feed the machine and bid knowing that I won't win.

I usually avoid entry level but sometimes I like to roll the dice and bid for the lulz.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
6 of 30

I don't worry about other freelancers' bids as well.  But I think the point the OP is trying to make is not that she gets lower bids.  But when she posts entry level or intermediate some of the same contractors apply but bid lower if it is entry level and bid higher when it states intermediate.  

I have actually seen what she is talking about.  For ex: A simple transcription was posted a while back for 25 minutes of audio for a budget of $250.  Now for a one person, non technical dictation this is way overpriced.  I actually bid my rate and got the project, but the client said he recieved several bids for the full price of $250 from freelancers that didn't have half the experience I have.  

I think the OPs frustration is not receiving low bids but receiving varying bids from the same freelancers because they are looking at the levels and thinking they can charge more.  With that said, you as a client need to ignore these bids because there is a better chance it can turn out bad.  What you can do (if you're not sure of the going rate) is Google prices according to what your project consists of and you will get a better understand of whose bids are on point or if someone is inflating it. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 30

Her complaint is kinda a monument to why Upwork pulled the list of bidders and doesn't show other people's bids. I know what she's talking about for sure. It's a weird phenomenon that happens when people base their "rates" on everything and anything except their own hourly rate and how much time it will take. I usually beef up my bid if it's flat rate in case there is something I don't see or don't predict, but never base it on anything but me. I don't even look at the ranges anymore. 

She's basically observing bad freelancers who are clueless at how to bid appropriately.

Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
8 of 30

Miss K

First you must understand that the low offshore rate is a specific strategy for Upwork -- the system is specifically designed and intended to steer work to these locations.  I am not judging, merely observing. 

Proof: 1. Search for a USA Group in Country Groups.  2. Note the names of "Top" talent.  Again, not judging.

And yes, the $5.00 bid for any significant amount of work will scare off those of us who earn a living though our talents/skills....  That is for Upwork to fix, see paragaph above and dont hold your breathe!

SUGGESTION:  Clients can - and thankfully do - clearly state in bold caps the location they are hiring in.  This helps, but does not guarantee the bottom-feeder jumping in. 

As a freelancer - attempt to ascertain the clients name location - and review the amounts they have paid.  NOTE: many non-us clients will state that they are US - and I havent seen much effort from Upwork to address such deceit - and that i AM judging!

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
9 of 30

@Mark K wrote:

As a freelancer - attempt to ascertain the clients name location - and review the amounts they have paid.  NOTE: many non-us clients will state that they are US - and I havent seen much effort from Upwork to address such deceit - and that i AM judging!

Mark,

If I'm not mistaken Upwork has begun verifiying the IDs and thus the location of all new freelancers. I don't know about the old hands. My ID verification originates from Elance where it was displayed in the freelancer's profile. This might be an idea for Upwork to implement. BTW, I'd love to see an ID verification of clients too. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 30

Hi Mark,

I see you joined Upwork a few weeks ago and submitted a few proposals during that time. I appreciate your feedback as a new user but would like to suggest giving it a bit more time and getting to know the platform, in order to

consider all aspects and gain an in-depth knowledge about our processes.

Regarding your conclusion and statement about a US Country Group, please see a couple of replies from long term Community members on the subject. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS