Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Flaw in Upwork System

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
21 of 30

Wendy,

I noticed a similar difference in translating Amazon listings. Amazon listings coming from the US, the UK or China are extremely rich in words, putting it kindly. A complete waste of time and money for the German market. On the German market you just need

- a catching title (no keyword stuffing)

- a good price

- the five bullet points really coming to the point

- shipment from an Amazon warehouse in Germany (or from within the EU) to avoid that the enduser has to pay VAT

If a brief description is added that's okay, if it just repeats what is said in the bullet points, skip it. Hardly anybody reads the description anyway. A complete time waster are companies introducing themselves in the description field.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
22 of 30

Joachim, does that hold true for book reviews as well?

I would think potential readers, including Germans, want some idea of characters and plot ...

A few friends have written books and I've either read them a few times as work in progress or as a final draft prior to publication and then written reviews on A.  Unpaid and honest reviews ... but all the books were good. Had they not been, I'm honest enough to have said "pass" when it came to reviewing.

Community Guru
23 of 30

@Wendy C wrote:

Joachim, does that hold true for book reviews as well?

I would think potential readers, including Germans, want some idea of characters and plot ...

A few friends have written books and I've either read them a few times as work in progress or as a final draft prior to publication and then written reviews on A.  Unpaid and honest reviews ... but all the books were good. Had they not been, I'm honest enough to have said "pass" when it came to reviewing.

No Wendy, books are a different matter. If I take me as an example, I own around 2,500 printed books and 500 ebooks. One room in our apartment is a dedicated library, books from the floor to the ceiling. My wife and me read reviews, I normally also read the reviews on Amazon or Kobo, take a peek into the book or download a few chapters if this is offered. As reader I want to know what to expect from the story. Some authors I just buy (Lee Child, Jeffrey Archer, Stephen Baxter, Ken Follett, Simon Kernick) to name just a few. 

Miss K Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
24 of 30
Let's not get off-topic.

No one argues that a local or native translator is best suited for the job.

Yes, my whole point is that the skill levels and prices Upwork associates with it, along with the fact that they *require* clients to choose one creates issues.

BIG HINT to you Upwork: find a more suitable process.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 30

You missed his point. A provider in the same country as the client has a cultural advantage as well as others. You can indeed compete.

Community Guru
26 of 30

@Miss K wrote:
Let's not get off-topic.

No one argues that a local or native translator is best suited for the job.

Yes, my whole point is that the skill levels and prices Upwork associates with it, along with the fact that they *require* clients to choose one creates issues.

BIG HINT to you Upwork: find a more suitable process.

I agree with you that the process requires improvement. On the other hand, don't bother too much about the levels. Just this weekend a client, allegedly from London, posted several translation jobs at $0.004 per word and required expert level. To give you an idea, 5,000 words would be 2 to 3 days of work for a total of $20. I've given up taking the levels seriously, for fixed price jobs I just look at the budget and the scope. For hourly jobs, just take into account what the job is worth to you. 

This widget could not be displayed.
27 of 30

@Joachim M wrote:

I agree with you that the process requires improvement. On the other hand, don't bother too much about the levels. Just this weekend a client, allegedly from London, posted several translation jobs at $0.004 per word and required expert level. To give you an idea, 5,000 words would be 2 to 3 days of work for a total of $20. I've given up taking the levels seriously, for fixed price jobs I just look at the budget and the scope. For hourly jobs, just take into account what the job is worth to you. 

It is useless to bid for such projects and suggest adequate fees. Those "clients" are not able/willing to pay proper fees and they do not look for quality. Moreover, I am not interested to work for those farmers.

Community Guru
28 of 30

@Margarete M wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

It is useless to bid for such projects and suggest adequate fees. Those "clients" are not able/willing to pay proper fees and they do not look for quality. Moreover, I am not interested to work for those farmers.

I had some connects to spare and pointed out to him that his budget is not realistic. He got all rude. Seeing his name in the message I assume he is not located in London but in Romania or Bulgaria. 

29 of 30

@Joachim M wrote:

I had some connects to spare and pointed out to him that his budget is not realistic. He got all rude. Seeing his name in the message I assume he is not located in London but in Romania or Bulgaria. 

That is another aspect that those "clients" are not pleasant at all. As this "client" probably lied about his location I question that he does any official business and so we will not be able to issue a proper invoice.

Community Guru
30 of 30

@Margarete M wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

That is another aspect that those "clients" are not pleasant at all. As this "client" probably lied about his location I question that he does any official business and so we will not be able to issue a proper invoice.

I agree. I'm just waiting for him to turn up in the forum and complaining that he can't find 'reasonable' freelancers. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS