🐈
» Forums » Clients » I accidentally paid too much
Page options
1e3de2c7
Community Member

I accidentally paid too much

I hired a freelancer on a fixed fee. I meant to pay $110 but accidentally included another 0 so paid $1,100.00. I don't know how I can amend this or request a partial refund. I've spent approximately $15,000 with upwork over the past year so find it very disappointing that you don't offer email support. 

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Stefan,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your payment. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, 

I accidentally paid too much on the milestone of the project we have with**Edited for community guidelines**.  We are a Canadian company and put the currency in Upwork as CAD and thought we were paying Canadian dollars on the milestone amount but then realized it was USD and sent more than expected (came to over $3K). We just want to send $1850 USD right now.  Please advise how we resolve this matter asap.

Reference ID is 319537569

Thank you!

Paul

Hi Gopal,

If you go and check the offer you sent to the freelancer, there should be an option to modify the offer. By doing this, you can send the freelancer a new offer with different terms, and it will automatically withdraw your previous offer. Let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Stefan: You do not need customer support if something like this happens.

All you need to do is send a note to the freelancer explaining what happened. She will immediately issue a refund for the difference.

Preston H wrote:

She will immediately issue a refund for the difference.

Do you know this freelancer? (I'm only asking as you seem to know its a female and that they will respond immediately and it baffled me incase i missed something)

re: "Do you know this freelancer? (I'm only asking as you seem to know its a female and that they will respond immediately and it baffled me incase i missed something)"

Jonathan:

To answer your questions:

No, I do not know this freelancer. I as speaking generically. I never said the freelancer that the original poster hired is female, nor did I imply such.

ANY decent person (whether female or male) who works as a freelancer on Upwork would immediately refund a wrongly-paid sum of around $1000 to a client if they were notified that this happened.

Wouldn't you?

The only reason that a client would need to contact Upwork customer support is if they were dealing with a truly reprehensible freelancer.

No, I do not know this freelancer. I as speaking generically. I never said the freelancer that the original poster hired is female, nor did I imply such.

Well, you actually did - is saying SHE  not implying such? (It doesnt really matter to me, it just struck me as odd thats all, as in the UK one would usually refer to the unknown as 'they')

ANY decent person (whether female or male) who works as a freelancer on Upwork would immediately refund a wrongly-paid sum of around $1000 to a client if they were notified that this happened.

Wouldn't you?

The only reason that a client would need to contact Upwork customer support is if they were dealing with a truly reprehensible freelancer.

YES - of course i would. However, if it were me that had overpayed the money i would probably try the freelancer at first instance, but i would also contact support without delay, just in case.

As much as anything else i would want the situation to be remidied as soon as possible as i couldnt afford to be out of pocket by $1000 even if i was confident i would get it back eventually.

Jonathan:

What you said makes sense: The client definitely wouldn't want to be deprived of a thousand dollars because of a typo.

The original poster did not indicate if he even tried contacting the freelancer. If he contacted the freelancer and quickly obtained a positive response, there would be no need to contact customer support.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths