cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe the vast majority of freelancers are using pirated software.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
11 of 29

It's apparent you live in a world that I just cannot comprehend. A world where you dictate the rules, but then alter the rules if they don't fit with your argument. A world where you see motivated reasoning in the words of others but not your own. I don't really see the point in continuing this discussion as you've onbviously come to the conclusion that I'm immoral and unethical and Upwork should be high on Amnesty International's watch list for some reason. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Ace Contributor
Marcos C Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
12 of 29

I understood his complain in another fashion. The main problem is that some freelancers really invest time and money to do their jobs, and it includes purchasing original and functional softwares. It's a matter of professionalism: while some freelancers put money, time and effort developing a solid structure to accomplish their jobs and fulfill the clients' expectations, others go for the easy way, using pirated softwares, bidding for low prices (since they don't have any costs) and "stealing" some space from guys who really approach the freelancing in a professional manner.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 29

Adobe killed that problem with its subscription service. 

Out of curiosity since you're a programmer, John, what did you buy for $1600?

Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
14 of 29

I'm no programmer and I support anti-piracy for software but I happen to know a couple of locals here (and they are in the $15 to $20 bracket) who happen to have a genuine copy of what they use for work as a gift or as a tool needed to work for their previous or current employer outside of freelancing.

Too many speculations and what ifs but let's not assume these low-rates (I'm sorry for the term if it's offensive) can't afford it. They could've saved enough money to purchase expensive software or borrowed it from a professional.

This is borderline racism though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
15 of 29

racism runs rampant on this site so i don't think it's fair to say that in this case but maybe it's more of a case of 'jumping to conclusions'. 

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
16 of 29

@John B wrote:

I believe the vast majority of freelancers on this platform are using pirated software to do their work.

I agree, in all likelihood, there are freelancers using pirated software to do their work.  A vast majority, however, is just speculation.

There are also clients who ask freelancers to do work that one would assume is illegal, and there are many applicants.

I'm sure there are freelancers who overstate their qualifications and pressure clients into giving bloated ratings.

I'm sure there are just as many clients who use ratings to force freelancers into continued work for free.

At the same time, there are many professionals here who do an excellent job -- all without doing it illegally or immorally.

Some people try to run their business legally and ethically; while inevitably there will be those who are just out to make/save a buck.

If they can't afford the software, then why aren't clients paying more for their service?  Should poverty be a barrier to entry?  These things are symptoms of a larger world economic problem, and not specific to the Upwork platform.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 29

re: "I believe the vast majority of freelancers on this platform are using pirated software to do their work."

I think this is incredibly speculative. I doubt that it is true.

I greatly respect your concern about this matter, but you are using two software packages that most Upwork contractors have never even heard of, much less use pirated copies of.

No single job skill makes up the majority of contractors, and certainly no commercial software product is used by most. There is a lot of generalization inherent in the original poster's conclusion. I don't even know if we can say for certain that the majority of contractors use ANY purchasable commercial software for their work.

I do most of my work with a text editor and a web browser.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 29

Also, don't forget that colleges offer expensive software for dirt cheap if you're a student. If you're an engineering student, it's sometimes free.

Engineering students at my college got a lot of free software. That's how I got Windows 8 blech... thanks for nothing. I bought Adobe CS5 for something like $100 as a student.

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
19 of 29

@Jennifer M wrote:

Also, don't forget that colleges offer expensive software for dirt cheap if you're a student. If you're an engineering student, it's sometimes free.

Engineering students at my college got a lot of free software. That's how I got Windows 8 blech... thanks for nothing. I bought Adobe CS5 for something like $100 as a student.

Here's what Adobe has to say about that...

Can a Student Edition also be used for commercial purposes?

In North America, Student Edition software can be used for commercial purposes. Outside North America, Student Edition software is for noncommercial purposes only.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
20 of 29

That's a bit unfair! I considered having a little cheeky dig at Jeniffer, based on my understanding that you couldn't use student versions for commercial work, but obviously that doesn't apply in the land of the brave and the home of the free. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS