cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I believe the vast majority of freelancers are using pirated software.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 29

@Scott E wrote:

That's a bit unfair! I considered having a little cheeky dig at Jeniffer, based on my understanding that you couldn't use student versions for commercial work, but obviously that doesn't apply in the land of the brave and the home of the free. 

haha neener neener 

Natalya P Member Since: Jun 3, 2015
22 of 29

Um, just wanted to chip in on this one

1) Freelancers have a life and work OUTSIDE the freelance market like UpWork. Special software could have been, and usually is, obtained somewhere there and not just for working with UpWork.

2) Rates have absolutely nothing to do with what a freelancer can and cannot afford. $15 per hour is awesome where I currently live at. $3 is awesome somewhere else. Awesome as in it convets to an amount of local currency that allows you to feed yourself decently and buy some wine on top.

Prices vary around the world, a lot of posts on both Clients and Freelancers forums make me think people are completely unaware of that.

3) Freelancers put cheaper rates for their work in order to build reputation. Yet 0 clients or 0 feedback on a freelance site does not equal dirt poor freelancer or no experience in the real world. It simply means that they're new to this particular site. A freelancer might have all the necessary tools for the work honestly purchased and plenty of experience in some other place outside of UpWork. This site is not the world and neither the prices that are set nor the country of origin reflect quality and ethics of each individual.

Zakir S Member Since: Mar 9, 2010
23 of 29

If you pay $3 then what you expect? If you pay $3000 then talk. You created the system to allow this. This is called KARMA.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
24 of 29

Contractors set the rates that they work for. Clients may agree to those rates or not. A client has no way of forcing any contractor to work for any particular rate.

I don't really believe that contractors who are dishonest or pirate software while working for $3.00 an hour will magically become more honest if they are paid more.

Nor do I believe that there is any particular amount of money a person earns that justifies dishonesty or theft.

There are certain jobs that I do not own the tools necessary to do. I don't offer to do those jobs until I can afford to buy the tools I need.

Having said all that, let me reiterate what I said earlier: I do not think most Upwork contractors are dishonest and I do not think most of them or anywhere near that amount use pirated software.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
25 of 29

@Preston H wrote:

Contractors set the rates that they work for. Clients may agree to those rates or not. A client has no way of forcing any contractor to work for any particular rate.

This is untrue.  If there is a job I would normally do for $50, a client could absolutely force me to do it for $250.  Unfortunately, clients tend not to try to use their power in that way . . .

I don't really believe that contractors who are dishonest or pirate software while working for $3.00 an hour will magically become more honest if they are paid more.

This is true.  More money doesn't equate to more morality.  Rich people can be some of the most awful people in the world.

Nor do I believe that there is any particular amount of money a person earns that justifies dishonesty or theft.

This is only partially true.  Poor people can be some of the most ethical people in the world.  But if they are exploited by those in power to an unacceptable degree, they may very well be justified in actions like dishonesty, theft, or worse (much worse).

There are certain jobs that I do not own the tools necessary to do. I don't offer to do those jobs until I can afford to buy the tools I need.

Regardless of when the purchase it made or who makes it, the economics of the situation must be satisfied.  So long as there are cheap clients who will hire someone less honest than you to save a buck, there will be people who take the lower rate, and companies who won't get paid despite their software being used.

It's no big deal as long as you can do other things or use open source alternatives, but not everyone is in your particular boat.  The only really ethical thing to do in this situation is to place the burden of supplying the tools (or at least verifying their legitimacy) on the client.

Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
26 of 29

I believe that the vast majority of freelancers do not need to use pirated software at all.

Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
27 of 29

@Pablo V wrote:

I believe that the vast majority of freelancers do not need to use pirated software at all.

We writers certainly don't. Back when I started out, Open Office was a free alternative to MS Word. As a pirate (the regular kind, not the software kind), this appealed to me and fit my budget. Since then, I've upgraded (what a weasel word that is) to the brand name version. I got it legitimately for $10 through a corporate-buy program. http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

Those who believe pirated software is an issue on this platform might mention in their bids that they have a certified copy (with documentation) of whatever software they intend to use. Concerned clients will no doubt take note, giving you a competitive advantage. This is especially so if a client fears it may come back to bite them down the road.

To be honest, I'm more worried about pirated wetware - the rampant plagiarism of another's intellectual efforts.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
28 of 29

re: "To be honest, I'm more worried about pirated wetware - the rampant plagiarism of another's intellectual efforts."

I officially pledge to never steal William's wetware.

Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
29 of 29

@Preston H wrote:

re: "To be honest, I'm more worried about pirated wetware - the rampant plagiarism of another's intellectual efforts."

I officially pledge to never steal William's wetware.

Thank you. I appreciate it. And now, I'm off to sign the rest of humanity up to take that pledge. Shouldn't take long.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS