🐈
» Forums » Clients » I cant open a file for a project that was sen...
Page options
130e5c12
Community Member

I cant open a file for a project that was sent to me a year ago. I am still working on this project.

I am trying to download a .zip file with the final results of a design project that was done for me a year ago, but when I click the link I get this XML error:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

Is it possible for Upwork to send me a link to open this file? I really hope it isn't lost because I lost my backup of it and need it to continue the project.

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Seth, 

A Customer Support Team member has reached out to you through an email support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

No client should ever rely on Upwork to serve as a file repository.

I really hope Upwork representatives can help you.

But don't rely on that. If you have files that are important, then make sure they are automatically backed up and stored in multiple locations.

I use both iDrove and iCloud for redundant cloud based storage.

Thank you for your advice, but I did have it backed up. It was saved on a computer that recently broke that is why I was hoping I could still access it on unworkable. 

re: "It was saved on a computer"

I want what is best for you. I think you are a good person who deserves good things.

But for anyone reading this: "saved on a computer" doesn't count as backup.

Your computer broke and now where are we?

You should always do the "Lake Test" on all of your important files.

What is the "Lake Test"?

Mentally pick up your computer, walk to a bridge, and drop the computer into a lake.

If you can come home and immediately resume work on your project using the files backed up on the cloud, without losing any time, then you have passed the Lake Test.

If dropping a computer into a lake causes you problems, then you have failed the Lake Test.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths