🐈
» Forums » Clients » I did not refund money to client and my money...
Page options
yarhule
Community Member

I did not refund money to client and my money was taken from my account

Hello,

I just received an email from UpWork which said that I refunded $26.81 to a client; however, I wasn't even logged in at the time.

I earned that money and it was taken from my account without my permission and apparently I cannot reverse the payment.

Could you please check to see why the money was taken from my account and why I wasn't notified before it was taken? Also, I would like to know by when I will be able to get back my money.

Thank you
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Yanika R wrote:
Thank you for explaining that. The email only said that I refunded the client with no explanation. In the future, it would be nice if an explanation is sent along with the email.

I couldn't agree more!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

@Yanika R wrote:

I just received an email from UpWork which said that I refunded $26.81 to a client; however, I wasn't even logged in at the time.

I earned that money and it was taken from my account without my permission and apparently I cannot reverse the payment.

It means your client failed to pay Upwork and your hours did not qualify for hourly protection because you logged manual time or had low activity or no meaningful work memos.

Upwork will not pay you out of their own pocket for time that doesn't quality for protection.

In other words: If you want / need the protection track your time strictly according to the rules.

@Yanika R wrote:
 Also, I would like to know by when I will be able to get back my money.

You won't "get it back" because it was never paid by your client in the first place. In case the client pays Upwork and gets their account unsuspended, the client can pay you via a bonus.

yarhule
Community Member

Thank you for explaining that. The email only said that I refunded the client with no explanation. In the future, it would be nice if an explanation is sent along with the email.
petra_r
Community Member

@Yanika R wrote:

I couldn't agree more!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths