🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: I don't understand the conditions for pay...
Page options
2274f87e
Community Member

I don't understand the conditions for paying

Under what conditions should I make payment or refuse to make payment? If I am unsatisfied with the deliverable, should I pay anyway?

11 REPLIES 11
jaycrutcher
Community Member

The conditions should be that they delivered the work you discussed at the level of quality you discussed. If for example you asked for a square and they brought you a circle then they didn't do the job. If however they provided a square and you were expecting it to be not quite the square you got then you may be in a pickle.

David, if you posted an hourly job, then you have to pay, assuming the freelancer used time tracker. Otherwise, you can request changes and if the freelancer refuses to make changes, then you can close the contract but the freelancer may dispute you in that case. Lastly, you could also ask the freelancer if they would settle for a partial payment.

My Freelancers have produced ads that rearrange the words I provided.
But they have no "punch", and if I use one of them I am afraid it will
not motivate people to visit my website. In this case, do I pay them or
cancel? I cannot use these ads.

David S wrote:

Were your requirements clear? Have you discussed this with them?

You typically dispute payment when the freelancer delivered something that is not what you clearly asked. You do not dispute payment if the freelancer followed your instructions, but you don't like the work. In this case, you can ask them to keep working until you're pleased, but you cannot ask them to work for free.

If they are clearly incompetent, you can close the job, pay them and leave an appropriate feedback. You can ask for a refund too, close the job and leave an appropriate feedback.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
mtngigi
Community Member

David S wrote:

Well ... Rene provided good information and suggestions. It's still not clear whether or not this job was hourly or fixed rate. I'm guessing you might have had a small budget, which is fine, but that old adage that "you get what you pay for" may be at work here. That said, freelancers should still be paid for their work.

Have you shared your disappointment with the ad and given them the opportunity to improve on it? As I suggested, it's best to communicate with your freelancer to see what they're willing to do - either make revisions or perhaps settle for a partial payment. Good communication is key in these situations.

re: "My Freelancers have produced ads that rearrange the words I provided. But they have no "punch", and if I use one of them I am afraid it will not motivate people to visit my website. In this case, do I pay them or cancel? I cannot use these ads."

You sound like you want to put the freelancers' education or karma ahead of you own business interests.

Why

You are not their mentor, trainer, rabbi or pastor.

Why waste your time and energy with them any longer?

Put your busines first. Just pay them and move on.

Preston H wrote:

You sound like you want to put the freelancers' education or karma ahead of you own business interests.

Why

You are not their mentor, trainer, rabbi or pastor.

You keep posting that drivel when it is absolutely 100% clear that the motivation of the client is not to be "mentor, rabbi or pastor" or "put the freelancers' education or karma ahead of their own business interests."

In case it isn't clear to you, and to maybe save you having keep typing out that absolute nonsense again and again, the clients who ask that question do so because they would like their money back, not because they are in any way, shape or form concerned with the freelancer.

You're welcome.

Jarrad, I love your square explanation, and I love your artwork. I know I won't be disappointed if I hired you to design me a square.

mtngigi
Community Member

David S wrote:

Under what conditions should I make payment or refuse to make payment? If I am unsatisfied with the deliverable, should I pay anyway?

David,

Is this related to your other post? https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Don-t-know-what-to-do-next-Is-help-available/m-p/59076...

Was this a fixed price or hourly job?

A lot depends on how clear you were in your RFP, and what both you and the freelancer agreed to in the interview stage. Did the freelancer send mock-ups for feedback and were revisions included in their bid? If you're not happy with what you got, have you discussed this with the freelancer to see if they're willing to make changes?

You may not be happy with the end result, but if a freelancer put in the time, they should be paid for their work. If it was a flat rate job they may be willing to take partial payment, but again ... it's best to have a conversation with them first. A little more detail about this situation will get you better answers/suggestion as to how to proceed.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Under what conditions should I make payment or refuse to make payment? If I am unsatisfied with the deliverable, should I pay anyway?"

Yes.

If you hired a freelancer to do "Task X," and they then completed "Task X", then you pay them.

If you are unsatisfied with the deliverable, then you may show your dissatisfaction in two key ways:

- Leave honest, accurate feedback when you close the contract.

- You may choose to not hire the freelancer again.

2274f87e
Community Member

Thanks to everyone for their high quality answers. This is exactly the guidance I wanted. The job is fixed-price. I was worried because this is my first use of Upwork, and the website is actually quite ambiguous about this point. Thanks again for all the clarifications; I think I will have no problem at all, and neither should the freelancers.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths