🐈
» Forums » Clients » I don't understand upwork and they say I owe ...
Page options
30cda8d4
Community Member

I don't understand upwork and they say I owe money when I have not received services

This is weird,  you don't reallly communicate, just over text?

I tried to hire someone, and now UPWORK says that I owe money when I have not even received 

service. The question is how to be confident using this site, if the site itself takes money and thereis no servvice?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

John,

as a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

I find the service incredibly valuable. It saves me a lot of money.

I have never encountered an incorrect billing.

I think there is a small knowledge gap here. If you explain your situation, we can definitely help you understand what happened and make sure everything is correct.

How many freelancers did you hire?

Did you use a fixed-price or hourly contract?
How much money have you paid so far?

arooj78
Community Member

I think the problem is your unfamiliarity with the term "ESCROW".
Freelancers are also sceptical just like you are right now.
What if you don't pay after getting services?

The thing is, you put money in escrow before the contract start. (Freelancers can not receive that money but it remains safe with Upwork ), Upwork releases that payment to the freelancer ONLY after your approval and after the completion of services agreed upon between the parties.

Makes sense?

c2af7dc4
Community Member

It can be frustrating when issues arise on Upwork, but there are steps you can take to ensure confidence in using the platform. First, make sure you fully understand the terms of service, including the payment and dispute resolution processes.

Communicate clearly with the freelancer you hire and provide detailed instructions for the job to avoid any misunderstandings. If there is an issue with a freelancer or a payment, reach out to Upwork's customer support team for assistance in resolving the problem. Upwork has a dispute resolution process in place to help resolve issues between clients and freelancers.

Thank you!!!

re: "If there is an issue with a freelancer or a payment, reach out to Upwork's customer support team for assistance in resolving the problem."

I strongly disagree.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

I can assure you:

Clients have all the tools they need right at their fingertips.

As a client, I NEVER need to reach out to Customer Support in order to manage freelancers and contracts.

That would be a waste of my time. And a waste of Upwork's time.

It is better to learn where the buttons are and click them ourselves, rather than take time to ask someone else to click the buttons.

While it's great to hear that you have had success managing freelancers and contracts on Upwork without needing to contact customer support, it's important to recognize that customer support exists to help clients and freelancers alike.

In some cases, reaching out to them for assistance may be necessary to resolve issues related to freelancers or payments. It's always good to be self-sufficient and learn how to navigate the platform, but it's also important to know that customer support is available to provide assistance when needed.

Thank you!!!

Latest Articles
Learning Paths