cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I guess they just don't care

Ace Contributor
Stephen D Member Since: Aug 25, 2015
1 of 9

Upwork messed up the message system. Those that experienced the same know that as a fact.

While on other projects only chit chat and unimported messages disappeared, one project's messages totally disappeared. It took me an hour evaluating a temporary delivery and writing the change request. I forwarded this issue to customer service August 3rd! 2 months ago! After the first rep perceived that her canned responses will not make me desist of my humble wish to get my messages back, I had to remind of the open ticket after 11 days, after 9 days, another 9 days, 3 days, 3 days and now again 15 days without hearing from them.

My followups are being ignored, my requests to escalate to a supervisor are being ignored. What kind of customer service is that? This is the worst I have ever experienced in my professional life. Why is my request to escalate to a supervisor being ignored? Why cannot anyone simply say "Hey, we messed up and we absolutely accept the responsibility. Please, apologize for the inconvenience and allow us to compensate you for our error." as I am used from professionals. This is what I do when I mess up.

Robyn R Member Since: May 22, 2015
2 of 9

I have experienced issues with the messaging system as well. Thankfully it hasn't been a problem yet as my current clients are understanding. I hope they get in touch with you soon, and anyone else experiencing this should make sure it's known. Keep getting in touch with them, even though it is a pain. 

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 9

Yeah - I don't like it when I have to visit the message area too. First of all, so little space is availed me. I can't even see the previous message(s) I'm responding to. Every time I'm writing, I feel the way you'd feel squatting under a desk as you write; instead of writing on your desk sitted upright.

And recently I replied to a message only for the client to ask about his message 2 days later. It was really awkward, me saying that I'd responded instantly, yet I couldn't trace that reply for evidence. Gladly, it's a long-term client who trusts my word and so we both placed the issue on Upwork's doorstep where it belongs...

I have a feeling if the underlying hitch was divulged here, some experts would volunteer solutions free of charge... not necessarily because they want to be philanthropic, but to reduce the noise...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

I think I know what you're talking about. Older messages don't display when you go to the message center, right? It is annoying, but what you can do is go into "my jobs" and then click "job details" and then click "View all messages" and they will show.

This is from the freelancer side of things. Clients probably have something similar.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 9

Thanks Jennifer for trying to help. I've tried it now but the display doesn't seem much different.

I hadn't actually thought about very old messages as such but when you said I could try 'My Jobs' and then 'View all messages' I decided to try it on a long standing job. The messages did not come on. Instead I was thrown back to the same message area, and below (left) a message showed asking, 'Looking for older messages? View all rooms and people'. Not helpful when I proceeded there.

And just to elaborate, what I'd like to see is like the way you read on a board - we did that in the old message system. So that:

(1) As you write, you can see a reasonable number of previous messages and you can make a quick reference without mixing issues.

(2) When you see, say 3 unread messages and you click to open them, at any one time you can tell when you are looking at the very last message. As at now that is not happening.

There are times I'm thinking I'm on the last message and then on a casual tap I discover a message hidden below the bottom 'frame'. It's not comfortable particularly when they are new messages with fresh information. There was a time I saw 3 unread messages and on opening I only read 2 of them, and I wanted to console myself that the 3rd one may have represented a notification... Ridiculous, yes, but at times you get tired of complaining and so you ignore some things and hope nothing will go terribly wrong.

Come to think of it: What would go awry if our message area was made to look like right here? We are pretty fine here. I don't know how many people were impressed by the attempt to lean too much towards 'chat rooms' but I just wish there was an option.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 9

Definitely what Jennifer recommends and it is much easier. Also, you can write a proper message, rather than those facebook/chat messages, where there is no formatting, no way you can edit a message, and if you hit enter, it immediately shows to the other person. Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
7 of 9

@Nichola L wrote:

<snip>

and if you hit enter, it immediately shows to the other person. Smiley Frustrated

Actually, Nichola, that function can be turned off.

EVERYONE should be 100% aware of this, because for some utterly stupid, beyond senseless reason, the "hit return to send message" function is turned off by default.

Instead, unless you change this, hitting Enter will send the message whenver you try to go to a new line. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Here's how to turn this off!

I see some minor cosmetic updates have been applied to the message center (no comment), and the only place that seems to be available to update this function right now is at the "submit message" field. I had to actually go into a message thread to  take this screenshot today.

Message Settings:

Untitled-2.jpg

Ace Contributor
Stephen D Member Since: Aug 25, 2015
8 of 9

First thing I tried in the beginning and still does not work

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 9

Upwork needs to understand that we are not using the message Center to gossip and talk about the latest TV program. We are using it to do business. We need to be able to see past messages quickly or easily. If I think that I told a freelancer or client X, and they insist I said Y, I need to be able to quickly find the conversation and see what was actually written down.

Also, there is no point to having a screen that only shows messages for the day. We are dealing with people all over the world. When we are awake, our clients/freelancers are often asleep. When I send someone a message, I often don't expect a response until at least the next day. This means that when I see my screen with messages for the day, the messages have no context because they are replies to messages that were sent another day. It's completely useless.

I'm not a developer, but I have worked in customer experience, dealing with a large corporate website. Before you make changes to a website, you are supposed to test on people who would actually use it. It's hard to believe that Upwork has done this with the message center; it's not fit for purpose at all.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS