🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: I have a dispute with a Freelancer due t...
Page options
theparitt
Community Member

I have a dispute with a Freelancer due to poor quality of work, now dispute what can I do next?

I hired a freelancer to work on my job.
His quality of work is poor and he does not follow the instructions that I asked ( what program he needs to use or what errors he needs to fix). Then he suddenly requested a fund before he has completed the milestone ( he said that he need urgent money since he will be a father next Wednesday). I checked his work that he has done so far, I found many things that I asked him to fix he has not done and still neglect errors. So I asked him to fix but he said this is not his job and he did another thing already. 
          Then I paid partly fund according to his work ( he completed less than %50 of the job ).  and I think it will trouble me more than useful since I have to fix all of his work by myself. So I decide to end the contract.

Then he threatens me about escrow money that I put in the milestone
" I m not going to easily release escrow money without an answer"
"Follow standard step of Upwork. Be ready for claim."

and want $100 more.  I refuse to pay $100 I paid as Bonus for $20 + $60 for his 2-days work.  total ($80 / $250). It is better to stop now because It will damage me more when the project is completed and I have to manufacture this error-prone work.
          He demanded more money ($100 more ) and 10 point score for feedback if I want to release my Escrow money. So now he opened the Dispute and what I should do next? 
            I do not want to hire him anymore ( quite aggressive replies sometime and bad quality of works ) what should I do in the next step?

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Report him to Upwork for feedback manipulation. (with proof)

Stay calm during the dispute process.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I do not want to hire him anymore"

Then don't.

Always remember this:

One of the greatest things about Upwork (for clients) is the ability to "close the contract" on freelancers AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON. You don't even need to a reason.

("close the contract" is a polite phrase that means you are "firing the freelancer")

There are GREAT freelancers on Upwork. And there are some terrible ones. There is no reason for you - as a client - to waste any time with a freelancer whose work or attitude you don't value.

When you are dealing with a freelancer who is giving you excuses or providing low-quality work, one of the most awesome moves a client can make on Upwork is this:

- Close a fixed-price contract and release the escrow money EVEN THOUGH the work isn't done. Then BLOCK the freelancer. THERE IS NOTHING A FREELANCER CAN DO ABOUT IT.

This is how successful clients operate.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Theparit,

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer. Our team will follow up with you shortly via support ticket to assist you and advise regarding this situation.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

~ Bojan
Upwork
theparitt
Community Member

**Edited for community guidelines**
He suddenly becomes a dad by next Wednesday and wants me to release the milestone that he has not completed yet. Also, He wants to the start the next milestone while the old one has not been completed.
              Moreover, the quality of this work is very bad.  

re: "he said that he need urgent money since he will be a father next Wednesday... He suddenly becomes a dad by next Wednesday..."

He is lying to you in order to trick you into giving him money.

But EVEN IF he is giving birth between now and next Wednesday (which seems unlikely), that doesn't change the fact that you can't use the low-quality work he has turned in.

Don't create any new milestones. Don't send him any more money. If I was the client, I would close the contract and block him.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths