cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have paid a considerable amount of money for a template install and not the work requested.

Floyd W Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
1 of 11

The requirement to was develop a framework that we could add text/pictures to for a Wordpress/Woocommerce site. Invited a 5 star/$100 hour developer. Assumed a professional service/someone knowing what they were doing at $100/hr. Was to trusting. Have been billed 50 hours for uploading a Wordpress template and a slider (that we did not ask for, was not in the specification sent). Have remained professional and patient over the past several weeks but now on being forceful stating regardless of where he is in the work that he upload what he has developed am now told he has a family emergency. Somehow I am skeptical about this and of the impression am wasting my time/have been conned out of $5000. Besides a poor review (which I will wait a couple weeks to do) do I have any other means or course of action to highlight this. Has really put me off using Upwork as a platform. Many thanks.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 11

Was it $100/hour person with a long history here?

3 of 11

Hello. I am not sure who this $100/hour person is with a long history. The think is I seem besides a poor review to have no recompense here. I am happy to share all the correspondence/materials with with upwork, maybe they can tell me where I went wrong here besides being to trusting. I have nothing, very little to show for 4 weeks elapsed time/$5000 but besides a poor review no recompense. That doesn't seem right. This guy is free to do the same again it appears. Live and learn I guess.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 11

i am asking because it's not uncommon to see fraud profiles with high hourly rates, they scam someone and take off with the money and $5000 is apparently like 20 years of rent for some people and it's these people you can't trust. If this was someone in NYC, for instance, with a reputation on Upwork and elsewhere, running off with $5k wouldn't be worth it.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 11

Sorry to hear you aren't satisfied with the work the freelancer delivered so far, Floyd. Have you shared your concerns with the freelancer and asked them to deliver the product by a certain date? If you are unable to come to an amicable agreement on your own, please submit a request to our support team with information about the contract so they could assist you.

Unfortunately, you aren't able to dispute hours the freelancer logged in since the client review period for the work week when they logged hours is already over.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 11

Just to add to what Jennifer wrote, anyone can put $100/hr rate on their profile, IF THEY NEVER DO ANY HOURLY WORK, or last did hourly work long ago so you have to go far back in their history to see what rate they charged on their last hourly job. It's a trick to make a profile look better. I also question any claims of family/medical emergency, if the claim is made only after a client asks the freelancer why a project is taking so long. If an actual emergency occurred, a professional freelancer would notify the client shortly thereafter so the client can evaluate options.

7 of 11

Hey, Floyd

Sorry about your situation, I don want to be devil´s advocat but tell me how could be possible for you to hire someone if it seems that you are a new member without any reputation? so it seems that you had naver paid a penny to anyone.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
8 of 11

@Patricia M wrote:

Hey, Floyd

Sorry about your situation, I don want to be devil´s advocat but tell me how could be possible for you to hire someone if it seems that you are a new member without any reputation? so it seems that you had naver paid a penny to anyone.

Client profiles do not appear the same way.  You are only seeing what "would be" their freelancer profile if they had been one, which they are not, therefore no information is filled in, etc.  This safeguards clients, as they do not have less-than-reputable folks spamming them with "plz hire me nau" type messages.  As for appearing to be a new member, that simply means they are new to the forum itself.  The forum does not show when the actual client account was made, only when they finally joined the forum.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
9 of 11

Hello Kathryn. Thank you.

Community Leader
Patricia M Member Since: Aug 8, 2016
10 of 11

@Kathryn B wrote:

Client profiles do not appear the same way.  You are only seeing what "would be" their freelancer profile if they had been one, which they are not, therefore no information is filled in, etc.  This safeguards clients, as they do not have less-than-reputable folks spamming them with "plz hire me nau" type messages.  As for appearing to be a new member, that simply means they are new to the forum itself.  The forum does not show when the actual client account was made, only when they finally joined the forum.

Thank you, I understood that his profile is not what I can see but it says he joined today so I was confused Smiley Frustrated

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS