cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just had a very bad experience with a freelancer, Where do I go to report him/her?

Highlighted
Ari T Member Since: Jul 12, 2017
1 of 3

I just had a very bad experience with a freelancer, Where do I go to report him/her? He/she was very abusing and ride, asking me what is my nationality , my age and extremly hostile. Moderator, kindly read the chat conversation on my recent job posting. Very unpleasant individual.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 3

Hi Ari,

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with this freelancer. Please click the question mark icon and use the Get Help button to submit a support request and share all the relevant details with our team. We'll review the evidence you provide and take action after a violation has been identified. 

Freddy G Member Since: Jun 18, 2017
3 of 3

I am certainly not going to defend anyone here, but I would like to point out a different argument.

Many foreigners who butcher bookish English (please, don't point out that my use of punctuation marks is not perfect either according to the Chicago Manual of Style) are taught that it is polite to ask for address, cell phone number, nationality, age. Have you people ever noticed how English books for foreigners teach English?

The very first lessons always teach you phrases like:

1. Where were you born?
  2. How did you sleep?
  3. Are you married?
  4. What is your bank account?
  5. What is your home address?
  6. What is your cell phone number?
  7. What is your mother's name?

They actually make students believe it's totally fine to ask such questions in English, and unless you are explicitly told by a native speaker that you should not ask those questions because they contain private information, you keep the idea that English is actually spoken like that.

I teach Spanish as foreign language online and I've had many students who ask me where is the bathroom in your house? because those foolish books teach them to ask "¿Dónde está el baño?" (Where is the bathroom?) from the very first lesson, and the students feel more like practicing their Spanish rather than violating your privacy.

However, I think I'm being way too naive. Probably the freelancer is, indeed, an actual racist or even worse, a scammer or hacker. Who knows?

Those are my 2 cents for this thread.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS