🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: I'm a client. How to update the due date ...
Page options
veloxpro
Community Member

I'm a client. How to update the due date of an ongoing milestone?

I confirmed to the freelancer that I agree to extend the due date of his current milestone. I wanted also to do it formally, but I cannot find an option to update the due date of an ongoing milestone.

Please advise

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

The Upwork user interface has no way of updating these due dates.

You do not need to update them.

They are simply stored as text strings which are not used in any way by Upwork's systems.

They are only used for reference, something the freelancer and client may look at.

Nobody will be penalized in any way by Upwork's tracking algorithms if the milestone is submitted after that date.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

The Upwork user interface has no way of updating these due dates.

You do not need to update them.

They are simply stored as text strings which are not used in any way by Upwork's systems.

They are only used for reference, something the freelancer and client may look at.

Nobody will be penalized in any way by Upwork's tracking algorithms if the milestone is submitted after that date.

Thanks for your answer, Preston.

However, it's reasonable for a freelancer to worry that submitting after the due date can be used as a justification for not paying him for the milestone.

Otherwise, if there is no penalty neither from Upwork, nor from the client, then this field becomes useless (which is typically not the right assumption to make).

Sergey B wrote:

Thanks for your answer, Preston.

However, it's reasonable for a freelancer to worry that submitting after the due date can be used as a justification for not paying him for the milestone.

Otherwise, if there is no penalty neither from Upwork, nor from the client, then this field becomes useless (which is typically not the right assumption to make).

The due date has no effect just means that upwork would not automatically close the job after due date and it has no automatic effect on  Freelancer's ratings etc.

If the Freelancer submits work after due date, Client obviously has a  valid point for claiming that Freelancer has dishonoured the contract fully or partially.That is why ,It should be properly discussed and agreed in the first  place itself.

They do not automatically penalize  freelancer if the agreed due date was  not honoured.

But if the client takes matter to arbitration, that due date in contract would obviously be a point of consideration. It is very much a part of contract.

Obviously Freelancer in those situation can point to the alternate due date agreed later in chat etc.

So while it is true that Due date is just a point of reference, it is not entirely pointless.

Sergey:

Yes, I agree that the due date has meaning, and repercussions.

But those are left up to the client and freelancer.

That is something that you and Vivek already understand, based on what you wrote. Although the Upwork software system does not automatically use that due date... You as a client may still use it. For example, you might mark a freelancer's feedback score lower in the "deadlines" category if she failed to meet the specified due date.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths