🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: I'm a client. I don't want to leave feedb...
Page options
2f2bdf7f
Community Member

I'm a client. I don't want to leave feedback

When I do freelance work on UW, some of the people who hire me leave feedback (star ratings) . Others do not.

When I am logged into my EMPLOYER account (client), I am required to leave star ratings for people I hired. per screenshot

I DO NOT WANT TO.

How can I just skip through this part and end the contract?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Marshall J wrote:

How can I just skip through this part and end the contract?

Ask the freelancer to end the contract.

The party who ends the contract has to leave feedback.

Why don't you want to leave feedback?

2f2bdf7f
Community Member

My reasons are not pertinent to the question. 

When I am a hired freelancer, some people who hire me opt not to give me "star" ratings.

As an employer, I'd like the same option.

And yes, if someone does a less-then-stellar job but it's just a $100 job, I'm not going to give bad feedback and ruin their chances of getting future jobs. Sometimes saying nothing at all is better. 

So I take it you do not have a solution?

lucioric
Community Member

You don't want to give feedback, you had a bad experience with the freelancer but don't want to damahe his reputation, or simply don't know what is the feedback that the freelancer deserves?.

My reasons are not pertinent to the question. 

When I am a hired freelancer, some peopel who hire me opt not to give me "star" ratings.

As an employer, I'd like the same option.

And yes, if someone does a less-then-stellar job but it's just a $100 job, I'm not going to give bad feedback and ruin their chances of getting future jobs. Sometimes saying nothing at all is better. 

It is a total myth that clients are required to leave feedback.

Clients are NOT REQUIRED to leave feedback.

There are at least SIX easy ways for a client to NOT leave feedback:

a) Ask the freelancer to close the contract. Then don't leave feedback if asked to by an automated Upwork message. If the freelancer closed the contract, then the client will NEVER BE REQUIRED to leave feedback.

b) Leave the contract open.

c) Ensure that no payment has been made as part of the contract; then NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO with feedback, it will not appear on the freelancer's public profile page. (Private feedback will have no impact on the freelancer's JSS unless the feedback is negative.)

d) Client closes the contract. Client DOES NOT LOOK at the 6 "evaluation categories" and simply clicks 5 stars WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THEM. Client DOES NOT WRITE ANYTHING in the free-form feedback box. This is an acceptable moral equivalent of "not leaving feedback." When unaccompanied by written feedback, I regard ALL 5-star reviews of ALL jobs as meaningless.

e) Client assigns an assistant or a team member who worked with that freelancer to evaluate the freelancer's performance and write down the star scores on a piece of paper. Client closes the contract and enters the star scores based on what the assistant wrote down, without thinking about those scores.
f) Client formally assigns a team member to handle hiring and feedback evaluations of freelancers: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063368-Add-or-Remove-Team-Members

Thank you, Preston.

I'm still wondering why I am unable to close a contract without using the "star system" to rate freelancers, when other clients seem able to do so.

Marshall:

Are you certain that those other clients didn't use option A?

For the transactions where you were freelancer and received 0 feedback (because not required from the client), go back and look if you ended the contract first, or if client ended the contract first.  It seems that what's being said here is if you end it first (as freelancer) you give client the opportunity to not leave you feedback.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths