cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going back to Elance!

Yazeed H Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
1 of 24

Hello,

Since The announcement of UPwork replacing Elance i joined and moved my jobs here since this platform seemed promising , but since joining this platform nothing but problems, i have been patient and watching updates on social media for problems and fixes, but this went too far and beyond acceptable, i'm a IT person so i understand that such huge platform with this amount of functionality needs time to create and stabilize, but testing this platform and stabilize it on real clients, jobs, freenlancers,... is just unacceptable.

its clearly that this platform is in no shape to be released and used by public, too many problems and bugs, in addition to stripped and missing functionalities, controlling milestones and auto funding is the biggest letdown and stripped features from Elance, the guy who changed this behavior from Elance should be fired.

anyway, the wise thing to do is to bring Elance back into business because IT JUST WORKS, once this platform gets more testing , i mean REAL QA here and getting stable, you can launch it in beta with reduced rates to encounrage people to participate in this beta soft launch, and once you get it stable 100% then you are ready to launch it for public, but forcing it with this state into our throats is self-destruction of this company, i'm going back to Elance, i can still see that i can still post new jobs, if for some reason they declined my new posting then i will ditch odesk completely and find other stable working platforms, maybe i will come back after 2-3 years and by then all problems and issues MIGHT be fixed.

Community Leader
HB B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
2 of 24

Hey there Yaz,

Your comments coming from someone with an IT background are interesting. 

Do you think that Upwork in its current state is running in beta? Wouldn't the IT guys at Upwork have known that there would be a lot of problems once the system-switch went live? I'm not an IT guy, so I don't understand how a company would migrate a platform from Elance onto Upwork without having gone through beta testing BEFORE the migration. 

But the results that I'm seeing - and a lot of other people are seeing - seem to indicate that we are in a beta testing stage here in Upwork right now. 

Best,

Bruno

Chris R Member Since: Sep 12, 2015
3 of 24

I tried this platform a month or so ago. At the time it kept crashing and basic usability needed polishing. Last week I got a note saying it was time for me to migrate my account from eLance. So, I assumed a major new update had been launched and all was good. Wow, how can you push people from a website that works to this? I can hear the development discussions now..."We have a timeline to keep, I don't care about stability or the P1, P2, and P3 development tasks. Migrate those eLance users and fix it all as you go!"

This is definitely a business school case study (not the best practices kind...) in the making.

Chris

Laith A Member Since: Aug 27, 2015
4 of 24

I singed up here like a month ago, and as you said, it's just full of bugs. I'm a technical guy as well and i totally can understand that bugs sometimes can take sometime track & fix but this has reached a level where it's not acceptable at all.

Right now i can't see the applicants who applied to my jobs, so i'm completely in the dark and i can't get my job done, so i don't understand how my account here would be any useful, i reported the bug around two weeks ago, the support team are really helpful with messages like "we are working on it" "we informed our tech team" but yeah it has been TWO weeks I have users and clients as well and i can't tell them my job is not getting done because this platform is just not working. 

At the moment, I'm in a hunt for an alternative as Yaz said the Upwork is a great idea but the product is not ready yet and you can't test on us.

Kevin M Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
5 of 24

Completely agree.  I used Elance frequently, it was very valuable to me, and important to my business.   I've had nothing but problems with Upwork, sorting freelancers is painful, and now I just find out that the only way to see my old Elance jobs is at the bottom of an active Upwork job posting!  If I don't have an active job post I'm SOL.  You'd think that going to My Jobs then completed/filled would show them, but no!  Are you kidding me?

What a way to screw up a good thing.

For grins, here's the latest chat transcript with Upwork...

---

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Michael L Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
6 of 24

I totally agree!  Bad planning at Upwork... I really miss Elance. I don't inderstand why they got rid of a good thing???

Consolidating into one site was a bad business decision.  Not only is the site not ready they opened the door to competitors. Bring Elance back!

Community Leader
Charlie E Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
7 of 24

I don't think that consolidating the two platforms was such a horrible idea. The bad idea was consolidating both platforms into Upwork. It's an absolute shambles. 

The search function is quite ridiculous. Most of the time I can't even find myself. Trying to find freelancers is impossible. More often than not, search returns completely irrelevant frealancers. 

Given the extent of the technical issues and design flaws, I don't see Upwork recovering for a very long time if at all. 

Ace Contributor
Vitalij R Member Since: Nov 11, 2014
8 of 24

Unfortunately, I am not have Elance experience - only Odesk-Upwork, but I need to say that Upwork is good marketplace in whole in my opinion. Of course I agree that site working not good and consequently I see long distance between clients and freelancers, they can't find each others.

I am registered on both sites, but only Odesk/Upwork is doing me great experience in last years. In Elance I have only empty account without history.

If Elance is better then Upwork why I have this big difference?

In fact my skills is equal, portfolio is identical, so it pure magic Smiley Wink

May be you can shortly describe your Elance experience? It will be good lesson for me and for all.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely, Vitalij - Top Rated brochure designer.
Lee C Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
9 of 24

Elance is a dream site. Smooth, comprehensive, user friendly, everything in its place and easy to find. I'm a little nervous about losing my income because there's nothing happening on Upwork. The site is BARE looking, I can't transfer my work/project history, thumbnails don't work properly, portfolio is at the bottome of client comments. What were they thinking?

Muhammad Junaid A Member Since: Oct 11, 2015
10 of 24

Elance was the best.I love elance.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS