cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going back to Elance!

Lee C Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
11 of 24

And to add insult to injury, now Upwork's commission is going up to 20% !!! This ain't Hollywood.

Ace Contributor
John S Member Since: Jun 26, 2015
12 of 24

oDesk used to be usable. I don't know if it was better than Elance or not, but it was usable and useful - I've used it for years without any major complains.

Once the whole merging fiasco started oDesk went into a steep decline. If oDesk was OK Upwork is a complete disaster. It's as if they're doing it on purpose to ruin the company?

Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
13 of 24

I used both platforms, and they were very much different. 

I think Elance worked very well as it was, and should not have changed.

I think oDesk worked well, as it was, but could have used a few upgrades, and overall it should not have changed. 

How things are now, I simply have stopped using either platform, cause, well. They suck. 

Richard A Member Since: Sep 24, 2015
14 of 24

Couldn't agree more Yaz,

We are only a small company but have had tremendous value from Elance.  Getting sick of all the messages to move to Upword we eventually did,  Despite the seemless migration promises quite simply the only thing transferred was user name and password - I had to physically recreate things in Upwork.  Then I couldn't message valued freelancers who (guiltily) we asked to also move to Upwork without creating fictitious jobs to award.  Several of them are still trying to set up payments etc.  None of it has been easy and then after we have actually managed to get an Upwork presence we discover the functionality, forced funding, lack of intuitive use, customer interface (the list goes on) is sadly lacking.  We hope to see some rapid changes and improvements - there are other platforms out there and it won't be long before we shift.

Nikola V Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
15 of 24

I still can't believe they will really do it in the end - kill the perfect working platform! I mean they're already killing it.

I'm not even sure if they understand by now that they made a wrong desicion, and that this desicion will probably totally kill their business?

I'm just thinking and thinking, about their possible reasons, and it just doesn't make sense. They will lose money, that's for sure. Everyone will go away, because we don't want to work over this platform that just doesn't work and will never be near Elance quality, especially since they don't listen to what we have to say AT ALL!

We know better and we won't settle for this. Be sure. We are just watchers here, Upwork, we never decided to stay. We are already looking elsewhere. 

Why would anyone shut down something that everyone agrees is the best freelancer platform in the world. Killing something that's just perfect and bringing something that will take years to stop being a total mess, if ever. Which this is, A TOTAL MESS. I just don't understand.  I don't get it.

Fabrice T Member Since: Jul 27, 2015
16 of 24

I agree,

For example the Inbox page, the public profile URL, every job Email, the ability to save Search even with no search filled...

In my opinion Upwork try but Elance is almost perfect regarding the professionalism and the simplicity. Upwork is more beautiful and dynamics: OK, is that compatible with all users? New in Elance could need time to adapt but after, once got the way, you know where what is; in Upwork you are assisted, they try to show what is useful where it has to be.

I prefer Elance, however I’m open for improvements, if they consider our comments, they could either use the Elance platform and perform it for the merging (if it is not late), either create a new platform, or review (I think it is what is being done)  the oDesk platform structure according to the clients freelancers relationship and contracts.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
18 of 24

Wonder how that move back to Elance worked out.

Eric M Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
18 of 24

Same here. Upwork is just so much worse than Elance, it's unbelievable.

Anybody knows how to move the profile back to Elance?

I fear it's not possible.

Ace Contributor
Nick S Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
19 of 24

I hate this website. My favorite thing about Elance is that I never had to think about Elance. Now, I'm VERY conscious of all the things I can't figure out on Upwork...and what is with every feature & function requiring loading time? Didn't the world decide that flash/animated interfaces should die years ago?

Peter A Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
20 of 24

Hi,

I am getting frustrated with the site too.  UpWork seem to tell us it's slow and that they are working on making it faster.  However I find the behaviour of the site unpredictable and far from intuitive.  Recently I posted a Job, had 25 applicants, tried the use the built in shortlist process, but it constantly failed. So I have reverted to pen and paper and accept that if some of my applicants ‘go missing’ then I just hope they weren’t the best.

I’d like to be more confident in using UpWork, but the site isn’t helping.

Best Regards

Peter

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS