cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm looking for listing optimization and Upwork decides I want deceptive marketing techniques?

Moshe H Member Since: Aug 5, 2017
1 of 5

I've posted a job looking for Amazon marketing experts who can improve my listing. This is the job description:

We have a product in the beauty category (gift set with body lotion and similar products) that we would like to see get more traffic on Amazon. 
We are looking for someone that will review the listing, bullet points, backend keywords, etc and suggest changes that would rank us higher on the search results. We believe we have a great product that would sell well if people actually found it.

We are looking for WHITE HAT only please. No shady tricks, click farms, etc.

Please provide examples of other listings you've created and how they rank on Amazon's search results. 

When submitting a proposal, please specify how much you are looking for.

A minute later I get a message from Upwork that my Job has been removed "because you requested that a freelancer engage in deceptive marketing techniques".

I figured it's an automatic bot picking up the "click farms" in my description and posted a new job without that sentence (it now says "we are looking for WHITE HAT only please". And again, a minute later, I get a notification that my job has been removed for the exact same reason. No further explanation of what the problem is with my job.

I'm fairly new to upwork but I'm pretty sure my job description doesn't imply I'm looking for anything like Upwork thinks I'm looking for. I replied to the support ticket asking for more information but haven't heard back yet and was wondering if anyone encountered anything similar in the past.

Thanks in advance.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 5

The amazon stuff is pretty sensitive seeing as Amazon is suing people for fake reviews and most of the people you hire will do just that.

Moshe H Member Since: Aug 5, 2017
3 of 5

There are thousands of Amazon listings and SEO/SEM jobs performed on upwork every day so they can't possibly remove all Amazon listings jobs... However, you just made me realize that the bold part of "We are looking for someone that will review the listing, bullet points, backend keywords, etc and suggest changes that would rank us higher on the search results.can also be interpreted as if I was looking for someone to post a product review if taken out of context! That might be what's triggering the removal!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5

You are probably triggering automated algorithims. I doubt a human is looking at your post. A computer algorithm is finding certain key word or phrases and making assumptions... which may be entirely incorrect assumptions.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 5

Moshe, I think you should change the verb 'review' to another verb, like evaluate or analyze. As you inferred, the combination of Amazon & review is probably triggering an algorithm.