🐈
» Forums » Clients » I´m not satisfied with the work done, shall I...
Page options
fabiola_c
Community Member

I´m not satisfied with the work done, shall I pay for this?

First of all, this project had to be finished in 2 weeks, and we've already been there for 1 month.
On several occasions the designer has delivered the work with errors, which shows that he has not even read my messages well. In addition to the fact that we have made 2 video conferences spending more than 1 hour in each one.
I want to know if there is a way to appeal so that I don´t have to pay for the second part of the job.

Thank you for your help!

21 REPLIES 21
b8b80eb0
Community Member

Hi,
It looks like he does not understand your points. Maybe he has issues with communication and understanding instructions. 

But you can contact customer support regarding this issue. But if you refund the payment, it will badly affect his/her profile, and may  he will not get any project in the future. 

re: "But you can contact customer support regarding this issue."

Upwork does not want clients to contact them to complain about the quality of a freelancer's work.

Effective clients understand that they have all of the controls and buttons they need at their fingertips. They never contact Support to manage their freelancers and projects.

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. I never contact Support. I don't need to. Would be a waste of time. I can click the buttons myself. If a client doesn't know where the buttons are, she needs to learn where they are.

If a client has questions, ask here in the Community Forum. Ask ANYTHING.

Muhammad A wrote:

Hi,
It looks like he does not understand your points. Maybe he has issues with communication and understanding instructions. 

But you can contact customer support regarding this issue. But if you refund the payment, it will badly affect his/her profile, and may  he will not get any project in the future. 

That's the freelancer's problem, not the client's.
It may be a "misunderstanding" issue on the freelancer's part, but OP says they've had up to two hours of video conferencing. If the freelancer doesn't understand something, that's the time to ask.

I'm sorry, but if the customer has to leave a bad review, so be it. The following customers will be warned of the problems they may have.

Why should OP stick with the freelancer so that her profile doesn't suffer?

By the way, here CS has nothing to do. It's a client/freelancer problem.

No it won't effect the freelancers, but it will effects the client's profile. The client profile will be flagged if it happened multiple amount of time in terms of filing refund or disputed.

So just pay for their efforts and give them the desired feedback, that's what the platform want you to do.

The hiring process here is, depends on luck also, you can hire a really good looking profile but then they can still give you not a good functionable work. But on the other hand, I've hired not so good looking profile (have bad reviews) but they did a good job!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Fabiola:

I want you to succeed.

I am on your side.

You need to understand that you are doing this wrong.

You aren't using best practices.

If you have an important deadline, don't hire one stranger on the Internet.

Clearly YOUR TECHNIQUE IS NOT WORKING.

Hire multiple freelancers using hourly contracts.

Once you have the work done that you need, end all the contracts.

Or hire a better freelancer from the beginning.

Or hire one freelancer and fire that person as soon as you realize they don't meet your requirements.

Refund thinking hurts clients.

The worst thing you can do to yourself on Upwork is think that if something doesn't work out, you can get money back from the freelancer. Effective clients proactively plan to never get money back from freelancers. Instead, monitor work and fire them if you don't love their work.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I'm m not satisfied with the work done, shall I pay for this?"

Yes.

re: "I want to know if there is a way to appeal so that I don't have to pay for the second part of the job."

No.

There is no "appeal" process.

When clients hire freelancers using an hour contract, the client pays for the freelancer's time. There is no appeal process based on a client saying that she doesn't feel satisfied.

Clients may end a contract at any time. If a client isn't satisfied with a freelancer's work, the client should end the contract. Not pay money to a freelancer and then later ask for that money back.

For a fixed-price contract, there is no button a client can click to unilaterally get money back or avoid paying for submitted work. It is possible to try to ask for a refund. But the freelancer can say no to such a request. If there is a disagreement, then the matter can go to dispute, but Upwork will NOT make a decision. A dispute means Upwork encourages the freelancer and client to come to an agreement. This is NOT an appeal process. This is meditation. If that doesn't result in an agreement about who gets the money, then the next step is arbitration, which will cost the client $325, non-refundable.

dan1307
Community Member

Hi! As a freelancer i have to ask you. What was the budget? How experienced was the freelancer? There are a lot of 20$ bids for archviz for example. You would't expect quality at that budget (just an example) Try to tlk more with freelancers to see the language level. I he cannot communicate well with you he probably can't understand feedback!

sajal36
Community Member

I believe if the work is not as per the expected scope than you must ask for a revision from designer. And you must highlight the errors to the freelancer in work delivered by him. As project have got into issue, yo can have the checklist in place to ensure designer is doing work as per agreed terms.

I suggest that there is no point going through lengthy dispute process rather it will be bettter to get the freelancer fix the issue. Once the work is delivered than you may not hire him again.

Sajal S wrote:

I believe if the work is not as per the expected scope than you must ask for a revision from designer. And you must highlight the errors to the freelancer in work delivered by him. As project have got into issue, yo can have the checklist in place to ensure designer is doing work as per agreed terms.

I suggest that there is no point going through lengthy dispute process rather it will be bettter to get the freelancer fix the issue. Once the work is delivered than you may not hire him again.

It seems to me that if she has had 2 hours of videoconference with the freelancer, she has done everything possible for him to understand what must be done.
Why should she continue with this freelancer that doesn't seem to understand and is holding up the project?

Hi Maria, I believe after 2 hours video conference, she must have asked for the understnading document from the freelancer. This is just to ensure that freelancer had understood what is required to be done. This must have also served as Accpetance critieria for the deliverable from the freelancer.

Now Fabiola did the video conference and explained to the best to the freelancer. However I believe this was not verfied until the project delivery was being done. Seems freelancer did not understood the requirement completely and there was gap.

So as a ask for revision, the gaps must be clearly stated to the freelancer and look for understanding document from the freelancer on what he will do to fix the issue.

Sajal S wrote:

Hi Maria, I believe after 2 hours video conference, she must have asked for the understnading document from the freelancer. This is just to ensure that freelancer had understood what is required to be done. This must have also served as Accpetance critieria for the deliverable from the freelancer.

Now Fabiola did the video conference and explained to the best to the freelancer. However I believe this was not verfied until the project delivery was being done. Seems freelancer did not understood the requirement completely and there was gap.

So as a ask for revision, the gaps must be clearly stated to the freelancer and look for understanding document from the freelancer on what he will do to fix the issue.

Delay, deliveries with errors, seems not to read my messages and 2 hours of video conferences.
Apparently this freelancer does not understand anything no matter how much it is explained to him.
More job corrections? What if you still don't read what OP says and some unusable stuff keeps coming through?

We don't know more than a part of the problem, but I'm giving my opinion on what OP says. 

I believe the message from Fabiola does not state that as she just did 2 hours call for explaining the work. I believe any project you have to be prepared to follow the process to ensure that work is going in right direction. Any assumption might bring up surprise which is not desirable in any scenario. 

It depends what job poster decide, whether to go for dispute or go for revision. But than what is the prove that freelancer did not delivered what she explained. Is the call recorded, if yes than that can also serve as document or acceptance criteria. In my opinion, I will fix the issue to the best and move forward with my work or hire new freelancer for next steps.

Sajal S wrote:

I believe the message from Fabiola does not state that as she just did 2 hours call for explaining the work. I believe any project you have to be prepared to follow the process to ensure that work is going in right direction. Any assumption might bring up surprise which is not desirable in any scenario. 

It depends what job poster decide, whether to go for dispute or go for revision. But than what is the prove that freelancer did not delivered what she explained. Is the call recorded, if yes than that can also serve as document or acceptance criteria. In my opinion, I will fix the issue to the best and move forward with my work or hire new freelancer for next steps.

I guess that: "On several occasions the designer has delivered the work with errors, which shows that he has not even read my messages well.", it means that she has been sending messages about the errors to be corrected.

Sending message do not prove that the work was baseline previosuly. As a best practice, work must be always baselined to always get back to the point what was agreed upon. I believe that is missing in this case and freelancer can always dispute it as changing requirement. Best option will be to have the baseline done and go for revision.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Fabiola,

You should ask for a Revision not a refund. If the freelancer can't or will not make the revision changes, then negotiate a partial refund and close the project. Going to dispute is a big waste of your time, the freelancer's time and Upwork's time. Have a great day!

m_terrazas
Community Member

Fabiola C M wrote:

First of all, this project had to be finished in 2 weeks, and we've already been there for 1 month.
On several occasions the designer has delivered the work with errors, which shows that he has not even read my messages well. In addition to the fact that we have made 2 video conferences spending more than 1 hour in each one.
I want to know if there is a way to appeal so that I don´t have to pay for the second part of the job.

Thank you for your help!

It seems that everyone agrees that you do not dispute or that you pay and forget.
I guess it's a fixed price job?
If this freelancer is not doing the job correctly and to this you add that he is delaying it, I would tell the freelancer, to be polite, that you are going to close the contract because you are not receiving what was agreed.
I think you've given him enough chances, allowing him to keep making "corrections" will only make him longer.
You can close the contract and if there is a funded milestone, ask for a refund of this milestone (I think it is, not completely sure). I assume the first payment stays as it is.

If this freelancer is making your life miserable, you should cut off now and find someone else who can fix the problem.

I agree.

Somewhere along the line, some clients have misunderstood fixed-price contracts.

If a freelancer can't do something, clients should stop wasting their time.

Hire someone who can do the work.

Enough with asking revisions from a freelancer who is never going to get it right. That is so pointless.

vladrih
Community Member

1. Communication: Try to communicate with the designer again to see if there is a possibility of resolving the issues. Discuss your concerns in detail and ask them to clarify their approach and how they plan to address the errors.

2. Contract: Review the contract you signed with the designer to see if there are any clauses that pertain to the quality of work and timelines. If there are specific terms in the contract that have been breached, you may have a stronger case to appeal the payment.

3. Negotiation: Consider negotiating with the designer on a fair settlement that takes into account the issues and delays you've experienced. This could include a partial payment for the work done, or a renegotiation of the remaining work with a new timeline and expectations.

4. Mediation: If communication and negotiation with the designer do not lead to a satisfactory resolution, you may consider seeking the help of a mediator or an arbitration service to help mediate a resolution between you and the designer.

Overall, it's important to approach the situation calmly and professionally, while also being assertive about your concerns and expectations. I hope these suggestions help and wish you the best of luck in resolving the issue.

6bfcdaf8
Community Member

Hi Fabiola,

Is this an hourly contract or a fixed-price one? If hourly, at any given time you can end your contract, preventing your freelancer to charge your more hours. If fixed price, and in milestones, you don't have to fund the next milestone.

This freelancer will continue their journey with many more clients to make a living and your "feedback" score at the end of the job is very important for them to have a successful profile. So, if you open-heartedly discuss your observations and that you want to only purchase the first part and end the contract, they most probably will cooperate.

7bd0d548
Community Member

Yes you must pay, it happened to me a lot.

In fact, their work became unusable. When I kept asking them to make it work, then they will dispute me, I did to dozen of them but then Upwork flagged my account and threaten will take action against my account.

riolifemarketing
Community Member

Why would you continue to work with someone if you knew that you were not satisfied with the quality of work they were giving. This makes no sense. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths