🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: I paid for an app which I cannot submit t...
Page options
wescravn
Community Member

I paid for an app which I cannot submit to the APPSTORE. The freelancer wants to charge me to fix.

I completed a job with my freelancer who did an ok job, but I never understood why the login screen was the first screen in the app. Then I verified the functionality of the app, and it was fully functional except for that annoying logjn screen. I never asked the freelancer to fix it, and he indicated that people needed to sign in so they could get updates for what they had scanned. Then we gave the freelancer the OK to job completion. Then about two weeks later I submitted the app to the appstore, and then got a rejection. The rejection said that the app needed to have users try out all the features of the app, this was one of three rejections. Then I told my freelancer and then he's like it will be $400 to design the new logic. Im like if you had done the logic right the first time it wouldn't need to be redesigned. So now i got a $1000 app which is useless, it can

t be uploaded to any appstore. Is there a wa¥ i can have a arbitration after the contract is closed? I will just sa¥ the hell with it, if that is the case. And I will be out a $1,000. 

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ty,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you`ve had. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. You can access your tickets on this Link. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank You Goran

prestonhunter
Community Member

I completely understand what you are saying and I understand if you are disappointed by how things turned out. I believe that you would like to have had this end up with you paying $1000 and your app being accepted into app stores without any additional effort or cost. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

I believe I can can save you some time and confusion by pointing out some facts and some possible steps forward. But before I point out some facts about how Upwork works generally and about your situation specifically, let me emphasize that I do not work for Upwork and these are just my opinions. And even thought I might point out some things that seem like "unwelcome news", I am just trying to help you by arming you with additional information and perspective. You are the one who posted a question in the Forum. For that reason, I am on your site. I am not on the "freelancer's side."

- It is not Upwork's intention that you hire a freelancer and then pay that freelancer, and then get all of the money back. That simply is not how the site is designed to work. Also, if you don't pay a freelancer (or if you get all of your money back) then Upwork does not earn money. Because Upwork earns its money on the percentage fees that it takes out of the money you pay to freelancers.

- The freelancer does not want to give the money back to you.

- It is Upwork's intention that a client review the work that he receives, and then if any changes are necessary to complete the agreed-upon task, the client ask for those changes beore releasing payment.

- Once a client releases payment to a freelancer, it is Upwork's intention that the matter is over.

- You asked if it is possible to go to arbitration after a contract is closed? Yes. It is possible. But the first step would be mediation/dispute. After that stage, it is possible to go to arbitration. That would cost you $291, which would unrefundable.

- Most of the times when a matter goes to arbitration, the client loses. The client ends up only spending money to pay the arbitration fee, and doesn't get any money back.

- If we look at the actual written text in the milestone task in the contract, does it clearly state that the app will not have a login screen as the first screen? If that is not stated, then I see now way that you would "win" at arbitration.

- It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free. An objective outsider might look at your situation - in which a freelancer is offering to make requested a modification to the app for $400 - and think that this is a reasonable fee. If you want the freelancer to do that work for free, it is a violation of Upwork ToS. It also seems to be unproductive. Because by NOT offering to pay the freelancer to do this work, you appear to be getting nothing done.

- It is not necessary for the original freelancer to make the modifications that you require. You could hire other people to make those modifications. Or if you have the required ability, you could make those modifications yourself.

- If you want to make modifications to the current app, who would be the most reasonable person to make those modifications? Probably the original freelancer. Because he is the person most familiar with the app. Also, he seems to be asking for very little pay to do this work. It seems doubtful that you could find somebody else to do this successfully for less money.

======
What are your options moving forward?

a) You already said that you could say "the hell with hit" and be out $1000. That is a legitimate option. If you wanted to just call it quits, you CAN do that and nobody would think the less of you. You will have paid $1000 for an app that basically does what you want it to do. But it hasn't been accepted to an app store yet.

b) You could pay the freelancer $400 and then he will re-work the logic so that the login screen isn't the first screen. This will solve one of the three reasons why the app was rejected from the app store. After that, if there are additional changes that need to be made, you could continue working with this freelancer to make those changes.

c) You could try to get all of your money back. If you asked Upwork to do "mediation", they could ask the freelancer to refund your money. I don't think he will, but I have no way of knowing for sure. If mediation doesn't work, then maybe Upwork would allow you to go to arbitration. Maybe you could get money back. Maybe not. It seems doubtful. There are a lot of maybes.

I can't make any decisions for you. Hopefully this post at least provides you with more information as you try to decide what to do next.

Thanks Preston for your reply, so I should of let the app be submitted to the appstore before I closed the contract?

re: "So, I should have let the app be submitted to the appstore before I closed the contract?"

Yes.

If the written task description associated with the milestone stated that part of the task is submitting the app to the appstore and having it accepted, then you should have done that before you released the escrow payment.

At this point you need to decide for yourself what your current goals are. Knowing what your goals are will help you to decide what you want to do next. All of the following are possible goals, but they are not the same goal. Each of these goals will logically lead you to a different course of action:

- I want to have this app accepted in the appstore

- I want to use the app privately, as it is now

- I want to stop thinking about this project completely

- I want to do everything possible to get some money back from what I spent on this project

- I want to punish someone who wronged me

- I want to help other Upwork users avoid difficulties that I personally encountered

All of these are desires that other Upwork clients have decided was their top priority. The important thing is that only one of these (or perhaps something else entirely?) can be YOUR top priority.

Once you decide what your top priority is, you can tell us and we can advise you on how you can pursue your goal. Depending on the goal that you choose, your goal may or may not be achievable. But if you don't choose a goal, it is almost certain that you will achieve nothing.

My main goal would be to have my app submitted to the appstore. I realize  you said that would encur certain costs to it, and yet I don't want to spend more than $100 to fix this app, since this should of been fixed in the first place.

If none of that is possible within that budget, then I want to do everything possible to get some money back from what I spent on this project. I also want to punish someone who wronged me. 

Those are my goals moving forward.

re: "My main goal would be to have my app submitted to the appstore. I realize  you said that would encur certain costs to it, and yet I don't want to spend more than $100 to fix this app, since this should of been fixed in the first place."

Thank you for clearly stating what your goals are. I understand that you you would like to have your app accepted into the appstore while paying no more than $100.

Do you have a plan for achieving that goal? I am not personally aware of any realistic way that you could achieve that goal.

Which of these statements best describes how you feel?

a) I do not want to spend more than $100 to get this app accepted in the appstore. Getting this app in the appstore is really not very important to me, so it simply isn't worth spending more money than that. If the app was accepted into then appstore, I don't think it would bring in more then $100 for me, so spending more than that makes no sense.

b) I would like to see the app in the appstore, but if it means paying the original freelancer more then $100, I am not going to do it. Because I feel that to pay him more than that would be to reward him for bad behavior. The important thing here is this freelancer. The app itself is not necessarily important.

c) something else?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths