cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sense I've been totally scammed on Upwork

Ace Contributor
Paul G Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
1 of 46

I hired a freelancer to do a job. He was skilled with the actual software, but lacked basic knowledge of the theory of what the finished product does. As a result, it was a total disaster. I asked him to provide proof that this product actually functions and that his design is sound. He gave me a video, but it took about 2 minutes to determine that it was fake and the product was obviously tampered with. And to add insult to injury, I got billed for the time to make the fake video.

Did more checking. This person scored first place on the English test. Even though his English is very poor. Even the profile has major grammatical errors. I checked reviews. The best review has multiple entries and is ongoing. Googled the name, and it's a historical famous person. Obviously it's not the real name of this person.

So what do I do? Upwork doesn't seem to care what the freelancers do, but there is something wrong with this one....

Thank you.

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
2 of 46

RE:

----

So what do I do? Upwork doesn't seem to care what the freelancers do, but there is something wrong with this one....

---

Upwork cares about what Freelancers and Clients do. it is in everyone's best interest to have a viiable marketplace.

I am sorry about your experience and If I had this experience as a Client, i will  raise this issue with Customer Service/Support to see how it can be resolved ( assuming you have not done so already).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 46

re: "So what do I do?"

What should you do? You should stop working with that freelancer immediately. He is dishonest and unprofessional.

You should hire other freelancers and carefully check their work early on. Or better yet, have your project manager check their work. Then only continue working with the freelancers whose work you value the most.

Ace Contributor
4 of 46

You think I haven't dont that already?

Unfortunately, the nature of this design, it was not possible to verify until 1-2 weeks after hourly payment was made. No way to dispute it.

Community Guru
5 of 46

There are project managers who know this type of programming well who could have told you after looking at only an hour or two of this freelancer's work that that work he was doing was worthless.

I believe this project is definitely significant enough in size and scope to merit working with a competent project manager.

Ace Contributor
6 of 46

Sorry, I'm not asking for advice on what "I should have done". I'm asking for advice on how to recover from being scammed.

Community Guru
7 of 46

re: "I'm asking for advice on how to recover from being scammed."

I'm not sure what you mean by "recover." You can't get the money back.

Just learn from your mistakes and move on.

I don't think that freelancer's work is really worth using. It will just be more trouble than it's worth to incorporate into your project.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 46

Paul, regardless of whether or not you can recover any money, please report this freelancer to support as Oreofe suggested so the freelancer cannot victimize other clients.

9 of 46

Already done. Waiting for a reply.

I'm dying to learn how she explains the perfect score on the English test. First place of 1.4 million. Not bad for someone with broken English. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 46

@Paul G wrote:

I'm dying to learn how she explains the perfect score on the English test. First place of 1.4 million. Not bad for someone with broken English. Smiley Happy

Tests on Upwork are useless. Answers are all over the Internet.

Actually there is a way to use test scores on Upwork to unveil fraudsters. When they have excellent tests in English for instance and when during the first stages of communication it becomes evident that they have cheated, this is an indication that you shall hire someone else and report this person.

I'm sorry to advise you about what you should have done, again, but you really should have dismissed this person the moment you noticed a discrepancy.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS