cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sense I've been totally scammed on Upwork

Eric B Member Since: Mar 22, 2017
21 of 46

Hey I got scammed also. It seems the best thing to do is to accept the loss. But something should be done when we are the clients paying the money. Freelancers who manipulate and lie about what they can do or claim or do illegal activity in order to get paid should not be allowed to do business on here. I'm going to do some research to see which competitors allow this and which ones do not.

Paul G Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
22 of 46

@Eric B wrote:

Hey I got scammed also. It seems the best thing to do is to accept the loss. But something should be done when we are the clients paying the money. Freelancers who manipulate and lie about what they can do or claim or do illegal activity in order to get paid should not be allowed to do business on here. I'm going to do some research to see which competitors allow this and which ones do not.

I doubt you will find one that is stacked against the clients worse than Upwork, but probably all have similar issues. Since going into business I've learned that the majority of people you interact with are misrepresenting themselves or outright liars. I've met a few good ones, but they are the minority.

Since Upwork doesn't seem to care about this problem, maybe someone else should help them. I saw websites for **Edited for Community Guidelines** is still available. Pay one of their legitimate freelancers a little money to create the website that redflags all the cheaters on Upwork. Then clients will have a resource to minimize their risk. It could be as simple as inputting a few basic respones to questions to at least statistically filter out the likely cheaters. Test scores would be the easiest. Could have list of all the known scammers where people could report. I highly suspect that a lot more people are getting either scammed or delivered very substandard work than is reported here. Many people are afraid of leaving a bad review, because they will get a bad review in return. Hence the cycle of overrated reviews continues. Just like on EBay, everyone is "an awesome customer".

23 of 46

This is beyond the pale. I've got a freelancer that billed me for hourly charges that I did not authorize. I tried to dispute, but there is no dispute button. I tried and tried. I've asked for help from support several times. I've posted messages here. NO RESPONSE FROM UPWORK!!! In 2 days this thief will have my money in her hands. Why doesn't Upwork help????

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
24 of 46

Paul

You can file dispute till Friday midnight (UTC) for the previous week time.  Is the time in question in dispute period?

25 of 46

@Vivek K wrote:

Paul

You can file dispute till Friday midnight (UTC) for the previous week time.  Is the time in question in dispute period?

I really don't know. The dispute system is pretty ambiguous. It was hours billed last week. It is now Monday afternoon. The bigger question is why doesn't Upwork respond to my concerns.

Community Guru
Vivek K Member Since: May 28, 2016
26 of 46

Paul,

For work done from 20 march 2017 (00:00 midnight) to 26 march 2017 ( 23:59) UTC,
on 27 march 2017 at 12:00 noon your (Clients) billing method will be charged.
You will have from 12:00 noon of moday  to until Friday ( 31 March 2017clarify ) 23:59 to review and dispute.

UTC current time would be around 5 in morning. So you are probably a few hour earlier.
I hope this helps.

Somebody from Upwork should definately help you . Hopefully they will reply to your request soon

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
27 of 46

Paul G wrote:

Vivek K wrote:

Paul

I really don't know. The dispute system is pretty ambiguous. It was hours billed last week. It is now Monday afternoon. The bigger question is why doesn't Upwork respond to my concerns.

You can not dispute until Monday afternoon UTC for last week's hours, but why don't you communicate with the freelancer instead and asked them to remove the hours?
They have until midday UTC today before the work diary locks.
And by the way, Upwork hasn't allowed the freelancer to log hours, you have, up to the weekly limit set by yourself.

28 of 46

@Petra R wrote:

@Paul G wrote:

@Vivek K wrote:

Paul

You can not dispute until Monday afternoon UTC for last week's hours, but why don't you communicate with the freelancer instead and asked them to remove the hours?
They have until midday UTC today before the work diary locks.
And by the way, Upwork hasn't allowed the freelancer to log hours, you have, up to the weekly limit set by yourself.

You really like blaming the client. Of course I've communicated with the freelancer. She promised to delete those hours but didn't. Now is completely uncommunicative. Upwork needs to get involved in this situation. It's a clear case of fraud that I've posted elsewhere. Fake tests, bio, name, everything.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 46

@Paul G wrote:

You really like blaming the client. Of course I've communicated with the freelancer. She promised to delete those hours but didn't. Now is completely uncommunicative. Upwork needs to get involved in this situation. It's a clear case of fraud that I've posted elsewhere. Fake tests, bio, name, everything.

First of all: Have you paused the contract? (Not ended it?)

I am NOT blaming you, I am just telling you how it works. You can dispute the hours, but not until this afternoon UTC.

The freelancer also won't be holding your money in her hands in two days. Even if your dispute should not be successful, the funds would not be available to the freelancer until the 5th of April.

Incidentally, if you ended (rather than paused) the contract, that would have removed the freelancer's ability to delete the hours.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 46

Nobody here is blaming clients. (I saw a similar complaint by the same person on another thread recently.)

Upwork Community Forum participants and Upwork Forum moderators have provided helpful information about how Upwork works.

Those of us familiar with how the platform works know that although there are some protections in place for freelancers, the platform is almost entirely built around clients and client needs. Upwork makes no attempt to be "balanced" for both clients and freelancers. It is very client-centered. As it should be.

Yes, dishonest and/or incompetent freelancers can cause understandable frustrations for clients. But most problems can be avoided if one has a greater awareness of how the platform works.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS