cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sense I've been totally scammed on Upwork

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
41 of 46

If "the person wouldn't have gotten past a job interview in a real job situation" then there's no reason you (or your project manager) couldn't have picked that up in the Upwork interview either.

Thanks for the patronising assumption that your work is more technical than mine. What I hire for on Upwork is translators. What I do in my day to day job is project management for IT projects. So I know very well how to verify if either a freelancer or an IT professional is doing their job well. You can hire someone for a small trial project. You can closely monitor their work on an hourly project. Or you can break your job down into smaller deliverables and pay on delivery of each milestone in a fixed price project. There's plenty of protection for clients, if they are using the protections Upwork puts in place.

I agree, and so does everyone else (including Upwork staff) that test scores are a problem. But again, you could have seen this yourself on the profile.

Fake reviews: you didn't mention this before. Again, you can always report people you see that you think fit this pattern. That never works long term though. If you think it's an extensive problem, you can stick to hiring freelancers with a long, stable history of jobs of various sizes and types with good reviews. I personally haven't observed this as a major problem.

As for ID, you clearly have no idea how easy it is to get a fake ID, and how difficult it would be to verify every single one of the millions of freelancers on this site. Upwork are already doing video verification and taking other verification steps. But clearly this wouldn't have helped for your situation where the person is real.

I don't need to ask my freelancers for a copy of their ID and their qualifications because their work quality speaks for itself. I build long-term relationships with my freelancers based on mutual respect. I don't need to ask them for their ID to know they're going to do a good job.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
42 of 46

re: "Upwork... seems to feel this is the clients responsibility to screen fraudlancers that they have supposedly already screened."

Upwork does not screen freelancers.

It does not claim that it screens freelancers.

You are frustrated at Upwork for doing a poor job at doing a service it does not provide.

Jamal M Member Since: Mar 26, 2017
43 of 46

@Preston H wrote:

re: "Upwork... seems to feel this is the clients responsibility to screen fraudlancers that they have supposedly already screened."

You are frustrated at Upwork for doing a poor job at doing a service it does not provide.

Mr Preston, I beleive Upwork poor customer service caused frustration too. 

I filed my case a week ago but I never receive any updates via email or any other means regarding my issue. Its getting me frustrated too. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
44 of 46

You are not incorrect if you are a client who is frustrated by a poor customer service experience.

Upwork should provide the highest-quality customer service possible to clients. Client should receive prompt customer service.

Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
45 of 46

Jamal M wrote:

Preston H wrote:

Mr Preston, I beleive Upwork poor customer service caused frustration too. 

I filed my case a week ago but I never receive any updates via email or any other means regarding my issue. Its getting me frustrated too. 

-------------------------

Be sure to check the support center for responses. I frequently don't receive email messages about dispute tickets but often a support rep replies to the ticket within the support center. I am not as familiar with the client interface (I am mainly a freelancer), but I think you find it if you click the "?" icon next to the search bar (at the top of the screen).  Then choose "Help and Support" and "My Requests" at the top of the page. I see all my support tickets ever when I do this. It is disappointing that Upwork doesn't consistently send email messages as well, but it could be that some of those messages end up filtered as spam (I think they come from Zendesk rather than Upwork). 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
46 of 46

Hi Jamal,

I'm sorry about the confusion. I see the team has been replying to your tickets and communicating with you via chat. They have reached out to your freelancer on your behalf but haven't receiver reply yet. Also, the request you submitted today has been escalated to our Mediation team and they will reach out to you as soon as possible.

Please, make sure to only release payments from Escrow once you review and approve work delivered by the freelancer to make sure you benefit from Upwork Fixed-Price Protection.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS