cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have just been ripped off by one of upwork freelancers

Kei K Member Since: May 22, 2017
1 of 30

Hello

I have contacted **Edited for Community Guidelines** through upwork for website development. It has been almost 2 weeks since we made the contract but so far no work has been done.

I have provided every content for the website starting from photos till every single word that needs to appear on the site. I even gave sample website where he could refer for design. I think only 4-5 page website with provided content should have been a piece of cake.

But now after 2 weeks I still have nothing on my website, freelancer won't reply and money in my account continuesly is going to **Edited for Community Guidelines** account.

I would like to request upwork to do something about this.

What I am looking for is full refund of my money back to my account so that I could hire a decent freelancer, if available.

Thank you

Kei

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 30

Since you say money is continuously going to the freelancer's account, it sounds like you have an hourly contract. Have you been reviewing the screenshots to see what type of work the freelancer is doing? Have you disputed the hours during the weekly review period? Have you now paused the contract to make sure no more hours are billed until the situation is resolved?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 30

re: "What I am looking for is full refund of my money back to my account so that I could hire a decent freelancer, if available."

Upwork does not guarantee any particular outcome. With hourly contracts, you pay for a freelancer's time. If the freelancer was indeed working on your project, Upwork will probably not provide a refund.

You might be able to file a dispute for the most recent week.

But generally speaking, I think seeking a refund is a waste of time. It just saps energy and attention away from the important thing, which is moving the project forward.

Here is what you SHOULD do:

Rather than involve Upwork, there is nothing to lose by directly asking the freelancer for a full refund.

4 of 30

Well the thing is he is not responding to my emails.

And how upwork knows if actually work is done? I mean he was paid to build a website for me but there is nothing there. I think empty website is rather obvious evidence for refund

5 of 30

Yes I do have an hourly contract and I already paused the contract last weekend but today I got notification about another payment for 3 hours. I have disputed that one but already $114 was paid to him for no work.

In order to make things easy and organized, I chose a sample website and he said he can develop similar site for me. And after the contract, he started to say that he would be using Wordpress to make the site. Honestly, I am not really good at developing website but even I can learn Wordpress, so I told him to do the coding instead. He tried to do something and it didn't work.

Then I settled with Wordpress thinking it is better to be done by professional. But after promising we would the wordpress in 4-5 hours, he stopped responding. And that happened last week. I believe he is willingly ignoring my emails.

You can see the sreenshot to my website. There is only basic platform of Wordpress, nothing else

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 30

@Kei K wrote:

Honestly, I am not really good at developing website but even I can learn Wordpress, so I told him to do the coding instead. He tried to do something and it didn't work.

Then I settled with Wordpress thinking it is better to be done by professional. But after promising we would the wordpress in 4-5 hours, he stopped responding. And that happened last week. I believe he is willingly ignoring my emails.

You can see the sreenshot to my website. There is only basic platform of Wordpress, nothing else

Whether or not you get a refund, if you still want a professional looking site built, you ought to overcome a few misconceptions. It takes more than just 'learn WordPress' to create a custom site of any complexity, and to do so efficiently and quickly, coding is often required, whether a site uses WordPress or any other CMS, and 4-5 hours isn't enough time for anything other than an extremely basic site.

7 of 30

I never asked my freelancer to finish the work in 4-5 hours. That was his words.

And I have already once made Wordpress site on my own but it did not look good. That is why I settled with Wordpress with my freelancer.

I see where you getting with "don't hire $12/hour guy" thing but I am using upwork because I thought it is safe. And I hope I am not wrong. And assuming that I prepaired all the required content and the webpage is only going to be 4-5 pages with nothing complex, $12/hour is ok price. Not low not high.

Community Guru
8 of 30

@Kei K wrote:

I see where you getting with "don't hire $12/hour guy" thing but I am using upwork because I thought it is safe. And I hope I am not wrong. 

The thing is, the reason Upwork is "safe" in this regard is that you as the client have the opportunity to review and dispute hours before any payment is made to the freelancer. It seems that you either didn't review the freelancer's hours for the first week or reviewed them and were satisfied. Either way, it seems that you did not dispute them within the allowed period. That effectively says, "Upwork, these hours are valid. Go ahead and pay them." You can't really expect Upwork to protect you from yourself in that situation.

Oluwafemi A Member Since: May 22, 2017
9 of 30

I'm through with the contract with a client which at first the payment method was verified, though hm yet to close the contract but when it was time for payment I'm seeing something like "This client's payment method is unverified". Please what do I do

Community Guru
10 of 30

@Oluwafemi A wrote:

I'm through with the contract with a client which at first the payment method was verified, though hm yet to close the contract but when it was time for payment I'm seeing something like "This client's payment method is unverified". Please what do I do

Was it an hourly or fixed price contract?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS