cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have just been ripped off by one of upwork freelancers

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
11 of 30

Hi Oluwafemi,

If this is an Hourly contract and your client's payment method was verified at the onset of the contract, and you logged time according to the Hourly Payment Protection requirements, you'll get paid on this contract. Please stop working on this contract, ask your client for an explanation and let me know if you have any questions.

12 of 30

Hi Kei,

I'm sorry about the outcome of your contract. Regarding the payments you issued, you did stop and dispute the last week's payment but note that on Hourly contracts you're paying for freelancer's time and not a product. You as a client have the option to set a weekly limit of hours your freelancer can log, review the Work Diary regularly, pause the contract at any time or flag segments that include a screenshot unrelated to their project. Since the review period for the previous weeks' timesheet has passed, you'll need to communicate with your freelancer directly regarding getting a refund for the previous payments.

Kei K Member Since: May 22, 2017
13 of 30

I was contacted by the freelancer yesterday. According to him, he will not be engaged in the project anymore because his account has been suspended and he claims that he was not paid at all. Does this mean I get full refund?

Please clear this matter as soon as you can. I should find another freelancer for the project and I need to know how much money I have.

14 of 30

Hi Kei,

I see you have an open ticket so please post an update there and our team will follow up.

Kei K Member Since: May 22, 2017
15 of 30

So I have put the contract on Pause. What should I do now? Should I end the contract?

Can somebody tell what should I do to get my refund?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 30

re: "So I have put the contract on Pause. What should I do now? Should I end the contract?"

Yes.

re: "Can somebody tell what should I do to get my refund?"

No. No refunds.

17 of 30

Hi Kei,

I'll ask our team to post an update on your mediation ticket so please keep communicating with our team in order to resolve the issue with your contract.

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
18 of 30

$12/hour isn't low, it's extremely low.

When somebody suggests Wordpress, the main assumption is that he/she doesn't know any programming and/or the budget is too low to include any programming.

A 5 page website isn't difficult to do in the first place (of course, lot of variables, I'm thinking about simple text/images pages). But freelancing isn't a place where if you finish something in 2 hours, then you can do the next project on the same day. A project might come within 3 months from now.

There are 2 extremes:

• good developers which are few and most likely hired full time that cannot do any other projects;
  • "developers" that fight for every project hoping to get enough to make a living.

Final word is that without another source of income, freelancing isn't paying for a normal life. And freelancing jobs that are paying become full time jobs.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 30

@Gabriel B wrote:

When somebody suggests Wordpress, the main assumption is that he/she doesn't know any programming and/or the budget is too low to include any programming.

That's absolutely not accurate. I'm not a designer/developer, but over nearly two decades in online marketing (yes, really), I've worked with quite a lot of them. I know many with solid coding skills and a variety of options at the ready who recommend WordPress sites for non-technical clients because it is so easy for the client to learn to make minor updates, add content, etc. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
20 of 30

Tiffany, speaking as a developer specializing in WordPress, thanks for your support. I won't argue that you can get a lot done with WordPress by buying a theme, installing some plugins, and using a page builder to create pages. Even so, if there isn't a theme that's just right, or there's no plugin that implements some custom functionality, or there's a conflict between theme and/or plugins, coding will be required. Also, themes and plugins don't grow on trees -- they're coded by developers. So it's an over-simplification to assert that only non-programmers work with WordPress.