cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I have just been ripped off by one of upwork freelancers

Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
21 of 30

Relax. There are 250 million software developers worldwide. Half of them with less than 5 years experience in the field.

A person knowing some C++ (forks, pipes, semaphores, some threading, the usual stuff), then PHP and above those 2, Wordpress, is as rare as it gets. I was surprised when I was talking about PHP having the possibility to use the address of a variable/object rather than its value with somebody paid in the hundred of thousands of dollars per year, to which he replied that he heard but doesn't know all that much about it. I mean, pointers, come on.

Besides, has anyone rewieved the code? I know a lot of applications that work just fine, but their codebase is something I'd simply throw away in 5 minutes (complicated logic, long methods, PHP/JS combined with HTML and I don't mean a couple of lines, no or useless comments, loading of tons of JS libraries that aren't used and that are blocking the loading of the page, etc).

I mean, it's funny how "developers" jump into adding jquery (about 90 KB) just to select an element by its ID.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
22 of 30

So the original charge that anyone who suggests WordPress doesn't know any programming has now been modified to good programmers don't work with WordPress. I don't make $100k a year but I'm aware that PHP can pass parameters by reference and I will use document.getElementById if all that's needed is to access some property of an element. I also do site optimizations to substantially reduce render blocking JS and CSS with cache plugins, if the budget allows it. On the other hand my code would probably benefit from more commentary but I think it's unrealistic to hold freelancers working on small, one time projects to the same standards as full time, company developers and good code should be largely self explanatory anyway. 

23 of 30

Well, John, you SHOULD make at least $100.000 per year.

Also, things like:

$a = 1;
$b = &$a;

echo $b;

$a = 2;

echo $b;

are easily doable in PHP and pretty fun to confuse people (because I haven't met a situation yet where this is required by an algorithm).

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 30

@Gabriel B wrote:

Relax. There are 250 million software developers worldwide. Half of them with less than 5 years experience in the field.

A person knowing some C++ (forks, pipes, semaphores, some threading, the usual stuff), then PHP and above those 2, Wordpress, is as rare as it gets. I was surprised when I was talking about PHP having the possibility to use the address of a variable/object rather than its value with somebody paid in the hundred of thousands of dollars per year, to which he replied that he heard but doesn't know all that much about it. I mean, pointers, come on.

Besides, has anyone rewieved the code? I know a lot of applications that work just fine, but their codebase is something I'd simply throw away in 5 minutes (complicated logic, long methods, PHP/JS combined with HTML and I don't mean a couple of lines, no or useless comments, loading of tons of JS libraries that aren't used and that are blocking the loading of the page, etc).

I mean, it's funny how "developers" jump into adding jquery (about 90 KB) just to select an element by its ID.

LOL how do you get through college and not know pointers? HAHA they teach that in the first semester. But I guess it does separate the men from the boys. 

ETA: I did some PHP stuff but it confused me when it got into OOP stuff. It did things strangely to me compared to other languages. I thought its syntax for OOP was weird but that's me. It was a while ago so I don't even remember what it was.

Community Guru
25 of 30

Jennifer, I've been working with PHP & JavaScript so long, my recollection of OOP in other languages is hazy, but PHP at least lacks 2 features found elsewhere, multiple inheritance and method overloading.

As far as pointers go, lot of CS grads couldn't do this, supposedly (and it's not the most elegant code, but I didn't copy paste it and it's not *that* inefficient):

<?php
for ($i=1; $i <= 100; $i++) {
    if ($i%3 && $i%5)   //not multiple
        echo "$i\n";
    else if ($i%5)  //3 multiple
        echo "($i)Fizz\n";
    else if ($i%3)  //5 multiple
        echo "($i)Buzz\n";
    else  //3, 5 multiple
        echo "($i)FizzBuzz\n";
}

26 of 30

@John K wrote:

Jennifer, I've been working with PHP & JavaScript so long, my recollection of OOP in other languages is hazy, but PHP at least lacks 2 features found elsewhere, multiple inheritance and method overloading.

As far as pointers go, lot of CS grads couldn't do this, supposedly (and it's not the most elegant code, but I didn't copy paste it and it's not *that* inefficient):

<?php
for ($i=1; $i <= 100; $i++) {
    if ($i%3 && $i%5)   //not multiple
        echo "$i\n";
    else if ($i%5)  //3 multiple
        echo "($i)Fizz\n";
    else if ($i%3)  //5 multiple
        echo "($i)Buzz\n";
    else  //3, 5 multiple
        echo "($i)FizzBuzz\n";
}

Man that is sad. I even understand that. I've dabbled in PHP and when i did I tried OOP and it totally confused me the way PHP handled classes. Like, IIRC, you can access variables in a class outside of the class on your front end page? I don't understannnnd. lol IIRC, if you want to print a variable in a class, you print it inside the class?  I haven't done PHP in at least 6-7 years and just dabbled so maybe I'm remembering wrong. This totally confused me because in C# this wouldn't work.

I come from a C# background which has similar syntax to Java (don't shoot me please Java people syntax is the same but I know under the hood is different). I dabbled in Java a bit too. These two languages are totally different to me than PHP.

I never had problems with pointers other than it can get confusing keeping track of what the variable should be.

Community Guru
27 of 30

@Jennifer M wrote:

Man that is sad. I even understand that. I've dabbled in PHP and when i did I tried OOP and it totally confused me the way PHP handled classes. Like, IIRC, you can access variables in a class outside of the class on your front end page? I don't understannnnd. lol IIRC, if you want to print a variable in a class, you print it inside the class?

PHP lets you do it both ways. If a class variable is defined with 'public' scope then yep, the variable is directly accessible from outside the class. With 'protected' scope, it's accessible only from within the class or any subclass, and 'private' scope restricts it to the class it belongs to.

28 of 30

RE:

-----

LOL how do you get through college and not know pointers?

-----

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe they skipped a couple of CSC classes when pointers was the topic for the day? But then Java, Fortran , Pascal , C and a lot of others in this category had this concept embedded.

Even BASIC I think - (but memory fails me).

I hated the DS assignments that specifcally requested the use of pointers to solve a problem and mercifully, now  RAM abounds (cheaper and larger) so do we really pointers after all ?

Nelson R Member Since: May 26, 2017
29 of 30

RE
--
now  RAM abounds (cheaper and larger) so do we really pointers after all ?

--

I am sure pointers still relevant. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
30 of 30

@Gabriel B wrote:

Just curious about who had given any indication of not being relaxed?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS