🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Upworks removed my Feed Back from a poor ...
Page options
c48a6563
Community Member

I want bring to the community's attention about dispute and what recourse do we have???

I have been using Up Works for a while and have contractors on that are ongoing.  I have also managed teams both tech and non-tech for some 30 years.  I just had a young contractor working to help to "optimize" my google workspace  up and quit after resturctring it and having it so that not one of my users could access their files.  I continually asked the contractor billing $100 plus for a schema of the workspace architecture and they did not have a clue as to how to create one.  I asked about the setup they were building and charging me hours for and they kept telling me that they were certifed and what I was asking for was not best practices.  Finally on a day when I had users complaining about having no access to files after nearly 44 hours of the contractor suposedly working on my project some her time tracker showed screen shots not from my staff.  After her resignation she shared out pubilcally a confidential resignation letter from an employee in violation of the NDA she signed.  So 44 hours of work with little to show for it. A breach of an NDA agreement.  A resignation that left my company high and dry. And now I am asking for a refund.  Primarily so I can hire another freelancer, possibly from Upworks to do the job correctly.  It is clear she was over her head in what I was asking for and simplyt quit after spending time (billed time) gathering all the tech specs and the like.  I want a refund of partial payments so I can fix it.  What am I to do?  Be warned!

9 REPLIES 9
c48a6563
Community Member

The concept of Up work is good.  But this is the second contractor out of 5 that has tried to run a game on the client.  In looking at the freelancer's profile I see alot of "No Feedback Given."  Maybe that should have been the tip off of not great work to rate.

yofazza
Community Member

I read something worse a few months ago, where a freelancer ruined a number of client's online stores (Amazon etc.) by deleting products and send profanity messages to the client's customers. Then the freelancer apologize. A freelancer with children brain (and I'm not generalizing children).

Upwork should innovate a way to tell precautions to clients, or we'll have less and less of them.

If I'm in your shoes (or the online stores owner's), I think I won't be giving complete access to someone I just met on the internets, unless if I know I can revert everything when they do something bad.

No Feedback Given

There are people who take money from providing profile optimization service. There are marketplaces for feedback manipulation since many years ago where I'm sure they're still happening right now. 

I am not saying profiles are not to be trusted, but just don't depend too much on them. In the other way there are also freelancers who don't see Upwork as their source of income, close the jobs themselves and doesn't care about "asking for feedback".

I believe "winning a job" might have becoming something more important than actually doing a good job for some freelancers.

-- Sorry, just like almost every other problems here, solutions, suggestions, comes too late.

spectralua
Community Member

I see some faults here:

You need to create backup before granted access to anyone.

You need to wach progress a while freelancer working. You have screenshots, able to chat, see description. If something going wrong then you need to stop works asap. You able to do it. Unhapy with works - fire him, hire someone else.

Or hire project manager. He will select freelancer, watch works, take action asap when required.

No Feedback Given is not a problem. Some lazy clients don't wasting time to leave it. Missed feedbck not always mean is something wrong: job done, payment done. 

But you able to find someone with feedback, lot of peoples here.

About NDA, it is out of Upwork. You need to take separate legal action outside platform.

c48a6563
Community Member

I tried to warn other clients about a freelancer that did not deliver on their work and cost my firm $5000 in fees and then resignend and ended the contract.  I tried for a disputed settlement to be able to warn other clients but upworks deleted the feed back. The freelancer breached an NDA and failed to deliver on their work and Upworks removed the feedback so other clients will not know what was experienced.  I have spent over $20K with oupworks and on other contractors but they are not protecting their clients especially when other clients are warning about an experience with a freelenacer.

Upworks you are not protecting your clients by allowing feedback from clients that are spending with you and hiring other contractors?

This message will likely be edited or not posted.  Let's see?

The freelancer has a 100% success rating. 

But With so many clients offering no feedback and my feedback warning other clients has been removed.

I think I get how this works now.  Buyer beware????  Upworks is out to keep billing flowing but not as interested in client feedback to help other clients on here.    

Upworks good model But!!!!

yofazza
Community Member

TC M wrote:

The freelancer has a 100% success rating. 

But With so many clients offering no feedback and my feedback warning other clients has been removed.

I think I get how this works now.  Buyer beware????  Upworks is out to keep billing flowing but not as interested in client feedback to help other clients on here.    

Upworks good model But!!!!

So you confirm my post above: profiles are okay, but don't depend on them.

"No feedback" does not necessarily mean bad. If I have to imagine, most no feedback comes from freelancer closing the job themselves and the client is too busy about leaving feedbacks.

In the other way, feebacks could also come from freelancer asking or "bugging" the client.

"Bad feedback", most likely are correct, but it could also come from "bad" or "hard to deal with" clients.

So again, profiles are okay but don't depend on them. You do need to look at something first, but don't put your 100% trust on it. Don't give your Google Workspace access to someone you just knew just because her Upwork Profile said she's good. Feedback manipulation exchange exists, profile optimization service are real.

It's good to warn other clients, I do that whenever I could. But as I also said above, solutions and suggestions comes too late. Upwork is the only one who can really make a difference but they have tons of other things to think about and I don't know what priority they have on this matter.

--

Btw I'm curious, what do you mean by Google Workspace optimization? Did a quick search but still don't get it, what could cost it thousands.

Disclaimer: I'm just curious and not interested on doing it or something.

You are right, this topic will be edited to hide info you provided.

Toprated freelancer able to remove your feedback. It is normal as no more ways to remove feedbacks. For example Upwork never delete feedbacks from scammers, blacmailers or so. So it is usable and very limited ability. This freelancer used it for your feedback.

Iam niether a scammer or blackmailer.  I am a client that has contracts with contractors and that have managed many teams outside of upworks.  The Freelancer deleted feedback and maintains the 100% success status?  I was her largest client and there were many issues. So her 100% satisfaction stands and other clients may be burned in the same manner losing their money.  Preston I get you saying that it was the PM fault.  And I get you voice on behalf of upwork but had there been more hoenst feedback then it would have been better to sift out those freelancers that are merley riping clients off and those that do good work.  I get your concept given that you hire 180 freelancers but that is not the point. Upworks is scamming clients if feednack from flawed freelancers is removed from their profile.  And then the Freelancer get their feedback on the client.  Yes I left a response.  So having hired 1000s of techs in my 30 year career - I get what you are describing Preston.  But the fact that feedback can be removed from a freelance that has feedback from $100 clients and no feedback from others smacks of scamming the clients that rely on the feedback to make their choices.  This freelancer could have been managed much better.  That is true.  But that does not negate the facts of the work and working conditions they left in.  And that feedback should be allowed for others.  I will inform others in my network of this case and in that network warn buyers of Upworks practices so they are clear that they are often buying a profile that may have been cleaned by upworks to sanitize the bad work of the freelancer.  If this community does not allow for true ranking than it is really not what it appears to be.   Almost a bait and switch with no switch.

re: "I tried to warn other clients about a freelancer that did not deliver on their work and cost my firm $5000 in fees and then resignend and ended the contract."

I am very sorry for the unfortunate experience you had while using Upwork.

But you will achieve GREATER SUCCESS in your future endeavors if you gain a better understanding of how these things actually work.

Upwork Is not responsible for your firm losing $5000.

That one freelancer you hired is not responsible for your firm losing $5000.

And it is not YOUR fault that your firm lost $5000.

It is the project manager's fault.

The project manager is the person whose job it is to make sure that the project succeeds.

It is the project manager who reviews work submitted by freelancers and makes sure that it is appropriate for the project.

It is the project manager who assigns tasks and makes sure that if one freelancer resigns from the project, that the freelancer's assignments are assigned to other people on the team.

re: "The freelancer breached an NDA and failed to deliver on their work and Upworks removed the feedback so other clients will not know what was experienced. I have spent over $20K with oupworks and on other contractors but they are not protecting their clients especially when other clients are warning about an experience with a freelenacer.:

It is not Upwork's responsiblity to protect clients from something like this.

Upwork does not provide such a service.

Upwork does not claim that it provides such a service.

Upwork provides clients with an opportunity to find, hire, and pay freelancers.

Upwork does not protect clients from a freelancer "breaching an NDA". Upwork does not protect clients from a freelancer "failing to deliver on their work."

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork. Knowing what it is that Upwork does and does not do is a big part of my success as a client.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths