cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to contact a freelancer who declined my fixed offer

Highlighted
Ms Joy c Member Since: Sep 15, 2007
1 of 24

Upwork recomended a freelancer after I advertised a job at a fixed rate. The job is to edit a bunch of links to videos mostly on you tube & coordinate to a voiceover which I wrote & I will do the voice over. I looked at his work & really liked it. But he declined. I want to contact him & let him know that I'm open to a higher bid than I advertised bcs his work is excellent & I have confidence that he could contribute to my project & make my life easier to accomplish the task. Can I do that? How do I contact him?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 24

Hi Ms Joy,

Was it an offer or an invite to interview? You should be able to go to your Jobs, click on the job you are referring to and find the freelancer under Archived tab.

Alternatively, you use "Find Freelancers" field at the top of your screen, search by his name and then click the button to either invite him of make him a direct offer.

Screenshot_20.png

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 24

It was an ad I posted & UpWork suggested him. I sent him invite to apply. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 24

Invite him again, with a better budget that is in line with his posted hourly rate.

I am not saying you did this, but few things irritate a freelancer more than stating clearly what their rate is on their profile and being invited to apply to peanut budget jobs......  It makes us think "You clearly looked at my profile or you would not have invited me. What, exactly, did you see there that made you think I'd consider working for a fraction of my rate?"

Clearly, as freelancers, we are free to respond to such invites by bidding the price that would make it worth our while to do the job, but I've had clients react as if they were offended by that...

Client "Why did you quote XX when my budget is 10% of X??"

Freelancer "Why did you invite me in the first place when my profile clearly shows that I cost 10x what you want to pay?"

Highlighted
5 of 24

Hi Petra, TY for your insight & taking the time to share. I didn't invite him. Upwork did. Although, I think I did approve it. Upwork made a bunch of recomendations & I went down the list. Check check check Also, in looking at his previous jobs, although he posted a fairly high hourly rate, His payments were similar to what was advertised in  my budget. I would like your insight as to how to approach him now. I would like your insight & suggestions as to the wording without putting myself in the poorhouse. I really like his work & would pay more, but not poorhouse more. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 24

Ms Joy c wrote:  I really like his work & would pay more, but not poorhouse more. 

Why not go to the freelancer's profile and click on "Invite to Job?" - then write a custom approach (not using the template "Please apply to my job" one, telling him how much you like his work (flattery works not only with us ladies Smiley Wink ), that you would love to discuss your project with him and that your budget is flexible.

As a client I NEVER use the template invite, I always write my own.

As a freelancer I am FAR more willing to communicate with a client who took the time to write a personal invite than one who used the template, even if I am not sure I really want to do the work.

Maybe, once you establish communication, you and your freelancer can come to an agreement.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
7 of 24

Dozens of kudos to Petra for this post.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 24

@Ms Joy c wrote:

Hi Petra, TY for your insight & taking the time to share. I didn't invite him. Upwork did. Although, I think I did approve it. Upwork made a bunch of recomendations & I went down the list. Check check check Also, in looking at his previous jobs, although he posted a fairly high hourly rate, His payments were similar to what was advertised in  my budget. I would like your insight as to how to approach him now. I would like your insight & suggestions as to the wording without putting myself in the poorhouse. I really like his work & would pay more, but not poorhouse more. 

Just to clarify:

UPWORK provided a list of recommended freelancers to you. YOU invited them, as you say "check check check".

And also, I completely agree with Petra. Nothing is worse then getting a private invite to a job that is way below my pay rate. And adding insult to injury, the client does not include a personalized message. So we are left to wonder WHY the invite was sent to begin with.

Of course, such clients are probably doing the same thing that Ms Joy describes, in which case it's simply amazing any jobs get hired on at all.

In any case, I hope you are able to connect with this freelancer. Most of us will at least accept an interview, if a real message is received about the job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
9 of 24

As a freelancer this never really bothers me. I figure they're either just trying their luck, or that they were in a rush and didn't really register when checking my profile that my pay rate was out of their scale. The fact that this may seem unprofessional on the client's part doesn't really bother me either, as I know anyone can make a mistake in the face of, probably, multiple suggested freelancers per job, their own deadlines, and the like. I figure it's just going to happen...no biggie.

However, at this point, with a larger amount of invitations, when I get invited to a job that's way below my rate, I DO actually just decline, and I no longer include a friendly thanks-anyway note, as it's likely not being read. This is particularly true if I got the form letter approach. 

So do invite individually if you can, with a quick note obviously pertaining to the freelancer him/herself, and at a rate reasonable to him/her, if you really want that particular freelancer, and it sounds like you do.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
10 of 24

Hi Joy, 

Were you able to retrieve the freelancer's account by following the steps outlined by Valeria? Let us know if you still need any help!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS