Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was scammed **

Highlighted
MR T Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
1 of 9

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I trusted THEM!! **edited for Community Guidelines** still hasn't completed my game and upwork told them they had to give me a full refund and i'm still waiting. This was started Back in the end of MARCH/EARLY APRIL AND every build he sent had issues and then he went ghost for like 1 month....i have so many emails and now this?  I trusted him after he begged me not to give them a negative review and he will have my game completed and I was like DANG! OK I'LL GIVE YOU ONE LAST CHANCE!  They have my graphics and my audio and I hate to start over with someone else..so I closed the contract off assuming he would have it completed.. SILLY RIGHT?  NOW TODAY.,....THEY ARE PAID..I HAVE NO SOURCE CODE AND THEY ARE IN INDIA!   ANY SUGGESTIONS? LESSON LEARNED!  EVEN IF I GOT THE SOURCE CODE AND MY MONEY BACK LIKE HE PROMISED SINCE HE COULDN'T COMPLETE THE GAME..I CAN LET SOMONE ELSE FINISH IT FOR ME AND PAY THEM.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 9

Did they give you any files at all? If not, file a dispute. They have to give you your files. You own the files.

If the app just doesn't work at all, you're probably not going to get any support at this point. 

3 of 9

you mean open a ticket?  I have one already and upwork customer service really can't do much, but reach out to them.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

If you have the APK, you can extract it. Do a search for "extracting APK." Still, he should give you the source code. Here is a link just as a reference http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3593420/is-there-a-way-to-get-the-source-code-from-an-apk-file

I don't know how that works if it's just html files. It's kinda crappy of him not to give you source code.

You probably went out of scope but the developer didn't guide you with what you needed to do. Unless you spent thousands, I'd consider it a wash and hire a dev with experience. It costs extra to maintain an app after it's built btw. You don't get unlimited free support.

Typical of these projects though is the dev will tell you to rewrite it. You'll have to explain to a dev and see what he says.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
5 of 9

Sorry you went through this. This irks me because freelancers like the one you hired make it bad for honest hard workers that will do a great job. 

You mention lesson learned. That's great.

Keep in mind that if it looks too good to be true it usually is. I'm not sure about the rate you were charged but I'm guessing it was a fraction of what a real expert in that field would charge. If you want experience, pride in work, honesty, job well done, you need to be more particular. It will cost you but in the end, you won't be dissatisfied.

I truly hope this is resolved positively for you. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 9

We feel terrible that you had a bad experience with this client. This should not have happened.

Here are some notes for the original poster and other clients... (These are GENERAL notes and are NOT based on anything MR T did.)

Upwork is a tool and a resource. It can be used well or used poorly.

It is impossible for Upwork to guarantee that every contractor is a good and honest contractor. Most are very honest. Thousands are not and Upwork works hard to terminate the accounts of the bad ones. But you my encounter some.

YOU DONT OWE YOUR CONTRACTOR ANYTHING. If he doesn't deliver, end the contract. If you don't appreciate his work, end the contract. If you don't trust him, end the contract.

He is not your son who got bad grades in school, and you are giving him a second or third chance to prove himself. You don't owe your contractor a job. Why are you still working with somebody who doesn't provide you what you need? It makes no sense. Just use the close contract button.

For any significant programming/development project, you need a project manager who regularly reviews functionality and source code. If you can not do that on a weekly basis, hire somebody who can.

If you paying with an hourly contract, all of the material produced belongs to you all of the time. There should be no such thing a contractors not giving you the source code files. On a fixed rate contract, the contractor sends you the files and then you pay him. Period.

What is this business about a client NOT receiving source code files or other work product after paying a contractor? That makes no sense. 

On on any development project, you need to choose between hiring a highly paid professional with a proven track record, or hiring multiple redundant less expensive contractors, so you can compare their work and see who is the best, and then continue working only with the best. Try about five to begin with. After a couple hours of work, review their efforts and only continue with the best one.

It makes no sense to hire only one low cost programmer and trust solely in him. It is a gamble. Sometimes it works out. Often it does not. It is not cost-effective to hire only one low-cost programmer. Try out multiple people who are given the same assignment, or go with a higher-paid professional from the beginning.

Complaining to customer service, filing a dispute or suing contractors are not real options for serious business people. Clients who are serious about their money and their business don't rely on ineffective silliness like that. Serious clients get what they want and then pay for it, or they stop working with the contractor and work with somebody else.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
7 of 9

@Preston H wrote:

What is this business about a client NOT receiving source code files or other work product after paying a contractor? That makes no sense. 

Well, not every client knows all the details of what it takes to make a final product.  They might not know that an app has compiled source vs. a script that's part of the app bundle.  Same is true for things like Photoshop files vs. the JPEG output.  If they don't deal with a professional in the first place, they may not discover that what they got is not what they paid for until it is too late.

8 of 9

I only have the last APK he sent....and it still flopped. But  there is nothing I can do now. I'm tired of emailing over and over. Thanks for the feed back!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

APK is the Android Application Package.

These are the binary files that constitute the actual mobile application.

APK is not the source code files.

Exactly how much money have you spent on this project?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS